Linq or not Linq

George

I am a bit conservative type and usually give some time for technology to
mature before starting to try it.
Today my question is Linq. To start using it or not.

So here is the voting questions.

1. It speeds up development. Yes or No?
2. It makes programs easier to code and read. Yes or No?
3. Perfomance is the same (or comparable) comparing Linq with MsSql and
ADO.NET

Thanks.
George.

Ilyas

I am a bit conservative type and usually give some time for technology to
mature before starting to try it.
Today my question is Linq. To start using it or not.

So here is the voting questions.

1. It speeds up development. Yes or No?
2. It makes programs easier to code and read. Yes or No?
3. Perfomance is the same (or comparable) comparing Linq with MsSql and
ADO.NET

Thanks.
George.

1)It definatly speeds up development time. Reason being that you are
writing queries in c#, which more developers are familiar with and
they get executed on the database
2)Makes coding easier to read, if writtn correctly and documented
3)I have several apps in productions with Linq and havent noticed any
perfromance problems. Saying that you do need to pay attention to how
you write your queries (just as you would if you were writing direct
sql)

I would say, go for it. Linq really is very useful

Hillbilly

1. It speeds up development. Yes or No? maybe
2. It makes programs easier to code and read. Yes or No? maybe
3. Perfomance is the same (or comparable) comparing Linq with MsSql and
maybe

Go to the blogs to find and read about what "maybe" really implies as like
every other construct LINQ has a sweet spot where its use has been
discovered to be well suited for the task.

bruce barker

there are 3 general linq libraries

Linq for objects (IEnumerable):

this is a great replacement for the bad performing foreach. Not only is it
faster, but gives a full query language for seaching and joinging
collections. you should switch.

Linq for Xml:

coding here is probably simpler than dom and xpath coding. the performance
seem to be close to using compiled xpaths, and it uses an xmlreader under the
covers. there is less Linq code to write, and its probably (for those that
know linq) easier to read. look at switching.

Linq for SQL

this is a library that takes a compiled linq parse tree and converts to
dynamic sql at runtime. it you are doing dynamic sql, this may be a good
replacement, but should not replace stored procedures or calling prepared
statements. there are also sql features that can not be accessed from linq to
sql.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

Mike Gleason jr Couturier

Hillbilly said:
maybe

Go to the blogs to find and read about what "maybe" really implies as like
every other construct LINQ has a sweet spot where its use has been
discovered to be well suited for the task.

What if in the blogs they say "maybe, maybe, maybe, go to some experts
forums and ask those who use it everyday"?

?