Linux equivalent of Windows SendMessage

Antoninus Twink

Articles posted in this newsgroup recently under the name of "Kaz
Kylheku" have been detectably different in tone from those he used to
post here before wandering off to newsgroups new.

"It wasn't me who changed, but you."
-- Dusty Springfield

Rui Maciel

Golden said:
I see the point is to make it someone else's problem.

If that someone is clearly more qualified to solve the problem then everyone comes up winning.

Rui Maciel

Spiros Bousbouras

... snip ...

But a mistaken newsgroup redirection will rapidly get corrected in
that other newsgroup. The problem isn't so much the extra answers,
it is those mistaken answers. The answerer may be convinced s/he
is completely accurate, and wrong.

A wrong answer will also get corrected in the other newsgroup. I
don't disagree with the redirection part, I disagree that there
should only be redirection and no other reply.
Also, the answerer can be one
of the ugly trolls we have been plagued with recently, who post
much misinformation.

The trolls aren't going to heed your request anyway so they are
beside the point.
Adhering to topicality takes advantage of the separation of
newsgroups in Usenet. Ignoring it discards that advantage, to no
net purpose.

I'm not advocating ignoring it; where we disagree is the precise
manner in which one should adhere to it.

Kenny McCormack

Bruce Cook said:
Actually as someone who works in a service industry I can tell you that
making it someone else problem may satisfy you, but hardly ever satisfies
the customer (or in this case the OP).

Welcome to CLC. We hope you enjoy your stay.
I imagine that those trying to learn and getting redirected through a
multitude of uninterested newsgroups would give up in frustration with the
conclusion that everyone on usenet are a bunch of wankers. Probably a not
to inaccurate assessment on the whole.

It is certainly true here.

The really sad part is that I believe that the regs actually do believe
the things they profess to believe. In particular, that the typical
newbie actually enjoys their so-called "redirections" (i.e., doesn't
take it as an FU).