Liquid Layouts

akennis

Hello Group,

I'm trying to adapt from a long time career as a driver developer
towards one that is more web / html centric. Last week I started
studying DIV & CSS based layout mechanisms, and it took quite a while
to understand (even a little).

Today I blogged about my experience with these technologies thus far,
and would like to confirm if my conculsions are reasonable or not.

Please take a look at:

http://paradigmquest.blogspot.com/2007/03/liquid-css.html

and let me know what is good and what stinks.

Thanks very much,

Albert Kennis

Rob

akennis schreef:
Hello Group,

I'm trying to adapt from a long time career as a driver developer
towards one that is more web / html centric. Last week I started
studying DIV & CSS based layout mechanisms, and it took quite a while
to understand (even a little).

Today I blogged about my experience with these technologies thus far,
and would like to confirm if my conculsions are reasonable or not.

Please take a look at:

http://paradigmquest.blogspot.com/2007/03/liquid-css.html

and let me know what is good and what stinks.

Thanks very much,

Albert Kennis

There are people around here who know far more about CSS than I do,
but I'm learning.

And one of the things that struck me most, is that it's not about DIVs
and CSS, but about HTML and CSS.

What I mean is:
you don't always need divs to style your pages the way you want to.
A lot of HTML-elements can be used as 'hooks' to hang a css-rule on (I'm
quoting books and articles here), without encasing them in a div.

If you start with proper structure and use the right html-tags
you can do with less divs.

By the way: less divs does not mean no divs.

Rob

Andy Dingley

and let me know what is good and what stinks.

You've written chapter #2.

Now go back and write chapter #1, which is about how to _first_ mark
your HTML up to reflect the document semantics and to be presentation
free.

If you take such a document and then worry about chapter #2 (How To
Present It), then you should only rarely need to add a <div>. There
ought to be plenty of non-<div> HTML elements in there already,
describing its content structure.

Inventing a bogus paradigm of "<div>-based design" and comparing it to
Pontificating a piece of bloggage about it is even worse.

And you used the word "paradigm".
On the web.
In a hostname no less.
That's a clueironing offence around these parts.

mbstevens

And you used the word "paradigm".
On the web.
In a hostname no less.
That's a clueironing offence around these parts.

<guffaw!>
Yup, thay's somthin' shifty 'bout 'em "paradigms," Pardner.
Kuhn he find somethin' else to talk about?

mbstevens

Hello Group,

I'm trying to adapt from a long time career as a driver developer
towards one that is more web / html centric. Last week I started
studying DIV & CSS based layout mechanisms, and it took quite a while
to understand (even a little).

Today I blogged about my experience with these technologies thus far,
and would like to confirm if my conculsions are reasonable or not.

Please take a look at:

http://paradigmquest.blogspot.com/2007/03/liquid-css.html

and let me know what is good and what stinks.

When I narrow the browser window, the central div moves, but the text does
not reflow. The page becomes hard to use at a fairly narrow window
width. Right now you have a fixed width div floating around inside the
body of your top level page. I suggest you restart by modifying a good
template. Here are a few sites:

http://www.realworldstyle.com/
http://www.bluerobot.com/web/layouts/
http://www.glish.com/css/