little games

BWIGLEY

Kornel Kisielewicz said:
In a state of madness zircher wrote the following :

Do you truly believe you can ask students on a course to write a
roguelike? :p.

I'm a 16 year old kid who's doing it in my spare time. So, yes, they
should be able to.

James Kanze

To me a good game has a wide range of weapons with strengths and
weaknesses, maybe puzzles as well, just so long as things blow up :)
I'd drop the "graphics" bit, as far as I know it's been a *long* time
since any serious code was written with curses or ascii graphics.

Nethack still uses ascii graphics, and it is still the best
computer game around. (Of course, something like that is
probably a bit too much for a course.)

SZDev - Slash

Hi my name is Carlos Obregón and I'm currently a profesor of C/C++
programming at the CUMD in Bogotá Colombia.

This last term I ask my students to develop an implementation of the
minesweeper game with ASCII graphics and input via keyboard.

I'm trying to look for other games suitable to those restrictions.

Does anyone knows a good candidate?

How could I miss this thread? may be I must read this NG more often :)

I have developing games with ASCII graphics for some time now,
(roguelikes) I think making a simple roguelike would be a pretty good
project for students (although it may not end up as anything fancy,
given how much dedication a roguelike requires).

Also, I am from Medellín, Colombia :) would be nice if there were more
roguelike developers (or at least players) from our country (or even
from south America... I know of nobody else into this)

You can find more info at http://www.santiagoz.com/web and
http://www.roguetemple.com

Thanks and sorry for reviving this thread, almost 2 months later :)

blangela

How could I miss this thread? may be I must read this NG more often :)

I have developing games with ASCII graphics for some time now,
(roguelikes) I think making a simple roguelike would be a pretty good
project for students (although it may not end up as anything fancy,
given how much dedication a roguelike requires).

Also, I am from Medellín, Colombia :) would be nice if there were more
roguelike developers (or at least players) from our country (or even
from south America... I know of nobody else into this)

You can find more info athttp://www.santiagoz.com/webandhttp://www.roguetemple.com

Thanks and sorry for reviving this thread, almost 2 months later :)

I see that the next release of Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How TO Program"
is coming out this fall. It will have a new chapter dedicated to
gaming. They did a reasonble job when did the same thing in their
newest release of "C How To Program", so I am hoping this new chapter
will be useful in introducing gaming to my C++ students.

Bob

rabidgoldfish

blangela said:
I see that the next release of Deitel & Deitel's "C++ How TO Program"
is coming out this fall. It will have a new chapter dedicated to
gaming. They did a reasonble job when did the same thing in their
newest release of "C How To Program", so I am hoping this new chapter
will be useful in introducing gaming to my C++ students.

Bob
may i suggest rec.games.roguelike.development