Local User Control

Sparky

I don't know how feasible this is, but is it possible to have users
log in to access a local database file in such a way that allows the
program to know what user name and password they logged in with? This
would involve separate user names and passwords for each user.

Thanks for your time and help,
Sam

Tim Golden

Sparky said:
I don't know how feasible this is, but is it possible to have users
log in to access a local database file in such a way that allows the
program to know what user name and password they logged in with? This
would involve separate user names and passwords for each user.

Well, this is a question which is crying out for some
context. Are you talking about an existing database
on an existing platform? If so, which one? Are you
talking about a database youo're thinking of building?
If so, the answer's probably yes but only you can
know. Are you talking about something else altogether?

TJG

Sparky

Well, this is a question which is crying out for some
context. Are you talking about an existing database
on an existing platform? If so, which one? Are you
talking about a database youo're thinking of building?
If so, the answer's probably yes but only you can
know. Are you talking about something else altogether?

TJG

Thanks for the timely response. This would be a database that I am
building myself. The question comes down to is there a feasible way to
verify a user's user name and password from inside that database.
Obviously the file would be encrypted, but if there is going to be
more than one user using it I suppose there would be a separate file
for a log-in. I am just asking for some guidance on how this would
theoretically be implemented.

Thanks again,
Sam

Tim Golden

Sparky said:
Thanks for the timely response. This would be a database that I am
building myself. The question comes down to is there a feasible way to
verify a user's user name and password from inside that database.
Obviously the file would be encrypted, but if there is going to be
more than one user using it I suppose there would be a separate file
for a log-in. I am just asking for some guidance on how this would
theoretically be implemented.

Maybe someone else on the list has a clearer idea than I do,
but at this distance from an implementation, all I can say is:
yes, I'm sure you can achieve some kind of user authentication.
After all, lots of other products already do. Or is your proposed
db very different?

TJG

Sparky

Maybe someone else on the list has a clearer idea than I do,
but at this distance from an implementation, all I can say is:
yes, I'm sure you can achieve some kind of user authentication.
After all, lots of other products already do. Or is your proposed
db very different?

TJG

Thanks. I suppose I probably should get further down the road and come
back with a more specific question.

Thanks again,
Sam