Locale case change not working

Clodoaldo

When using unicode the case change works:

But when using the pt_BR.utf-8 locale it doesn't:

What am I missing? I'm in Fedora Core 5 and Python 2.4.3.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

Peter Otten

Clodoaldo said:
When using unicode the case change works:

But when using the pt_BR.utf-8 locale it doesn't:

What am I missing? I'm in Fedora Core 5 and Python 2.4.3.

# cat /etc/sysconfig/i18n
LANG="en_US.UTF-8"
SYSFONT="latarcyrheb-sun16"

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto

str.lower() operates on bytes and therefore doesn't handle encodings with
multibyte characters (like utf-8) properly:

I recommend that you forget about byte strings and use unicode throughout.

Peter

Clodoaldo

str.lower() operates on bytes and therefore doesn't handle encodings with
multibyte characters (like utf-8) properly:

I recommend that you forget about byte strings and use unicode throughout.

Now I understand it. Thanks.

Regards, Clodoaldo Pinto Neto