Login timout with forms authentication

Perecli Manole

I have a need for logged in users to be timed out after 20 min of
inactivity. This works well with the built in functionality that ASP.NET
provides except for a certain situation. I have a reminder system in one of
the stationary frames that polls the server every several minutes to see if
a reminder is due. The polling mechanism uses a client side
ActiveXObject("Microsoft.XMLHTTP") object so the whole page doesn't refresh
constantly. However this also resets the session login timeout every time
making the login never expire.

Is there a way to selectively give hints to the framework on which requests
the login timeout shoud be reset to 0? If not, is there a way to get the
time remaining until the timout with the request and then ovewrite the
zeroed out value back to the original time left?
Any other solutions are welcome.

Thanks
Perry