look and feel

Discussion in 'Java' started by syntax, Mar 5, 2004.

  1. syntax

    syntax Guest

    hi, i have a question on "look and feel"

    i want to know full terms of the follwing::

    UImanager.setLookAndFeel

    question1 :
    -------------

    whats the full form of UI ?

    for another question here is a code ==>

    CODE
    ----------------
    String plaf = "com.sun.java.swing.plaf.motif.MotifLookAndFeel";
    try
    {
    UIManager.setLookAndFeel(plaf);
    SwingUtilities.UpdateComponentTreeUI(panel);
    }
    catch(Exception e)
    {e.printStackTrace();}

    ------------------

    question 2:
    --------------

    well, its not important to know whats the full form of plaf, but i
    feel the meaning of laf>> look and feel and can you tell me whats for
    "p" ?
    i am asking this for readability.probabily it has some meaning.

    however, the important question is what is this
    printStackTracemethod ?? can anybody tell something about this
    method,about its functioning etc.
    thanks

    syntax, Mar 5, 2004

  2. UI = User Interface

    http://www.acronymfinder.com/ can come in handy for such cases.
    Pluggable, as in "can easily be changed / added"
    You might want to learn about these:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/

    The method you want can be found here:
    http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/api/java/lang/Throwable.html#printStackTrace()

    Christophe Vanfleteren, Mar 5, 2004

  3. syntax

    syntax Guest

    yes, i know those methods are in the API docs.but it was difficult to
    understand.
    API >
    " public void printStackTrace()Prints this throwable and its
    backtrace to the standard error stream. This method prints a stack
    trace for this Throwable object on the error output stream that is the
    value of the field System.err .."

    what does it mean ? can anybody explain in a simple way? i find these
    two pharases difficult, backtrace ( is it backtracking i.e in a
    reverse way??) AND stack trace ( whats this, is it just a stack?) .

    anyway, can anybody tell me what it does overall ?

    syntax, Mar 6, 2004
  4. syntax

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Jon A. Cruz, Mar 6, 2004
  5. Hi,

    I suggest you compile and start the following program.
    Then you will see a real stack trace and understand what it is.

    import javax.swing.*;

    public class Test {
    try {
    String plaf =
    "com.sun.java.swing.plaf.afhgdhgd.IllegalLookAndFeel";
    UIManager.setLookAndFeel(plaf);
    }
    catch(Exception e) {
    e.printStackTrace();