Looking for a direction

Discussion in 'C++' started by Jeremy Seago, Sep 13, 2004.

  1. Jeremy Seago

    Jeremy Seago Guest

    Hello,

    I guess this goes out to those in this group that program at least
    semi-professionally. I am very comfortable with the basics of c++,
    but I'm looking to broaden my horizons.

    My question is this: Do you think it would be more beneficial to look
    deeper into the nuts and bolts of programming with C++ (more complex
    algorithms, engines and the like) or to look into the more visual
    aspects like GUI's.

    I am currently enrolled in college as a Computer Science major, but
    I'm not very happy with the depth of knowledge that I gain from class
    alone so I'm trying to pick up a few things on my own.

    Thanks,
    Jeremy

    PS- I hope this question makes sense.

    Jeremy Seago, Sep 13, 2004

  2. Punctuation is also an important subject to study...

    On a serious note, though, it depends on what you're into more. UI
    (whether G or not G) is a whole science in itself, if you want to do
    it right. But whether it's GUI or databases or mathematical models,
    everything needs "nuts and bolts of programming" to be done well.
    That's good. Don't blame the college, though. Colleges are not there
    to teach you how to do things. They are there to teach you how to
    learn to do things.

    Victor

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 14, 2004

  3. Jeremy Seago

    Default User Guest

    Victor Bazarov wrote:

    Such as proper use of the ellipsis?

    Brian Rodenborn

    Default User, Sep 14, 2004
  4. Most definitely?!...#%)-+!!!"

    Victor Bazarov, Sep 14, 2004

  5. Are you interested in GUIs? If yes, my suggestion is learn the
    fundamentals of C++ (like reading "Accelerated C++" cover to cover) and
    then learn the GUI stuff etc. Some periods between system-specific
    stuff, devote your time to learn more Standard C++.

    So the path (that I am also taking myself) is:

    ISO C++ fundamentals.

    GUI (myself .NET)

    ISO C++ (myself TC++PL3)

    Other system specific stuff