Looking for co-op, internship or volunteer java programmer.

Software Consultant

Are you looking for opportunity to gain professional experience in the
software development field? Do you have a passion for coding? Are
you a quick learner?

We are looking for talented java developers to participate in our
wireless project. As the team lead, I will provide the architecture
and design. You will be responsible to build your assigned module,
based on your knowledge. We will guide you and help you to implement
your parts. Flexible hours and you can work from home. We do
encourage all developers to attend progress meeting.

As a small company based in Toronto since 2002, we want you to grow
with us. We have the concept and design to work toward a complete
end-to-end wireless solution. And you should have the follow skills
to qualify building our modules.

Should know:
Java, UML, SQL, XML, Javascript

Nice to know:
WAP, HTTPS, Mailet, Servlet, Log4J, Tomcat, Ant, MySQL, Linux

Please email resume to (e-mail address removed) and we will
contact qualified candidate for interview.

Jimmy

xarax

Software Consultant said:
[...]

/snip/

Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

Chris Smith

xarax said:
Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

The part that was most amusing to me was that, after all this, he asked
for resumes to prove qualifications, and said he'd contact people to
interview them. Ha!

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Rhino

Chris Smith said:
The part that was most amusing to me was that, after all this, he asked
for resumes to prove qualifications, and said he'd contact people to
interview them. Ha!
There are some old sayings that come to mind when I read this 'ad':

1. "A workman is worthy of his hire."

2. "You get what you pay for."

If anyone actually offers to work free for this guy, I'd add one more:

"There's a sucker born every minute."

Rhino

Larry Barowski

xarax said:
Let me get this straight. You want someone to donate
their skills (listed above) to benefit your company?

When I saw the topic I thought someone was looking for a project
to join. Imagine my disappointment.

Scott Ellsworth

Rhino said:
There are some old sayings that come to mind when I read this 'ad':

1. "A workman is worthy of his hire."

2. "You get what you pay for."

Clients of mine have occasionally brought in summer interns for rock
bottom wages. The pay was damn close to nothing. On occasion, we have
offered starbucks wages, because that was what we had left in the
budget. Even $16 an hour for a ten week gig only brings you to $6400 -
chump change for industry, and sometimes what we have left to offer.

Will you get the best for this kind of money? Sometimes, if the
experience is good and the project interesting. Other times, you need
to offer real money to get good people.

These are essentially 10 week job interviews. They do not pay that
well, because we expect to burn a lot of our own developer hours keeping
the interns busy, and looking over what they do.

That said, real negotiating starts somewhere near the end of the gig, if
we want them back. After all, the primary goal of a student must be to
finish the degree and learn the material, not a summer job. On exit,
though, priorities change, and so does what we need to pay to get them.

Scott

Software Consultant

Thank you for everyone's input.

Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
this. At the same time, I do hope to find the right people to work
with and have a passion for design & coding. Doesn't have to be
experience but I don't wanna teach everything from scratch either.

When I first started to work in this field, I work for a place that
without pay, just free lunch that's it. But with this on my resume,
that's how my career starts.

Jimmy

xarax

Software Consultant said:
Thank you for everyone's input.

Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
this. At the same time, I do hope to find the right people to work
with and have a passion for design & coding. Doesn't have to be
experience but I don't wanna teach everything from scratch either.

When I first started to work in this field, I work for a place that
without pay, just free lunch that's it. But with this on my resume,
that's how my career starts.
/snip/

Then offer some equity. You don't want newbie programmers
and experienced professionals need compensation. If you
cannot pay money, then offer a piece of the action.

Tim Ward

Software Consultant said:
Thank you for everyone's input.

Let me make this clear. There is a great concept that I've came up
with, but I can't afford to pay full salary for programmer to build
this.

Oh, but there are just *so* *many* of these around at any one time.

How can the programmer judge which are likely to succeed and which are
therefore worth working on?

Well, the average programmer is not that well up in business expertise, so
is well advised to look at decisions made by those who are. This means that
the "great concepts" that are more likely to succeed, and thus a better bet
to work for, are going to be the ones that have a plausible business plan
which has been backed by professionals, ie a bank loan or venture capital.

So, in simple terms, a "great concept" that might actually be going
somewhere is one where the programmer gets paid.

xarax

Tim Ward said:
Oh, but there are just *so* *many* of these around at any one time.

How can the programmer judge which are likely to succeed and which are
therefore worth working on?

Well, the average programmer is not that well up in business expertise, so
is well advised to look at decisions made by those who are. This means that
the "great concepts" that are more likely to succeed, and thus a better bet
to work for, are going to be the ones that have a plausible business plan
which has been backed by professionals, ie a bank loan or venture capital.

So, in simple terms, a "great concept" that might actually be going
somewhere is one where the programmer gets paid.

If the OP is very serious about his "great concept" and
simply cannot afford to compensate programmers, then a
reasonable alternative is to create an open source project
where programmers can donate their efforts. The OP can
control the direction of the development.

sourceforge.net comes leaping to mind as a possible
venue for hosting the project.

Joined
Aug 5, 2007
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Re: Looking for co-op, internship or volunteer java programmer

Robin Thomas
206 - 1652 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON, M5P 3J9
Tel: 647 342 7841

August 4, 2007

Dear Sir/Madam:

Attached is my resume for your review and consideration for an internship position as Java Developer.

I have Master’s degree in Computer Application (MCA) and have 4+ years of experience in software development using Java and J2EE. My competencies include C, C++, Java, J2EE, Java Swing, Applets, JDBC, Servlets, RMI, JSP, Java Beans, EJB, HTML, DHTML, XML, Flash, Photoshop, Java Script, Red Hat Linux and SQL Server 7.0.

I am very well organized, flexible and have good analytical and communication skills. I am energetic, self-motivated and easily adaptable to new environment. I work well with a team and enjoy taking individual responsibilities.

I am very much interested in sharing my experience and knowledge and creating value to your organization as I grow with you. I am confident that my knowledge and abilities would be an asset to your organization. I would appreciate an opportunity to talk with you.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Robin Thomas

Resume
======

Robin Thomas
206 - 1652 Bathurst Street
Toronto, ON, M5P 3J9
Tel: 647 342 7841
Email: (e-mail address removed)

Objective:
To obtain a creative and challenging position that facilitates valuable industry experience and improves software development and web design skills.

Technical Skills:
· Operating System: MS DOS, Windows, UNIX and Linux
· RDBMS: MS Access, Oracle 8i and SQL Server 7.0
· Programming languages: C, C++, Java and Visual Basic 6.0
· Java Technologies: Packages and Interface, Exception handling, Threads, Event handling, AWT, Networking, Java Swing, Applets, JDBC, Servlets, RMI, JSP, Java Beans, EJB and J2EE
· Web Technologies: HTML, DHTML, XML and ASP
· Web Servers: Tomcat 4.0.2, Microsoft IIS and Java Web Server
· Design Tools: Dream Viewer, CorelDraw, Flash and Photoshop
· Scripting Languages: VB Script and Java Script
· Other Tools: Seagate Crystal Report 7.0

Professional Experience:
January 2004 – March 2007
Prisam InfoTech, Kottayam, Kerala, India
Sr. Programmer

· Developed a Library Management and Attendance Management System, Online Banking and Databases using Java & JSP
· Provided technical support as part of a team in the implementation and architecture of J2EE systems.
· Developed programs in Java using JDK 1.3 that included requirement analysis & design, development and testing, and the implementation of the final product
· Designed various client and server side components using Java and JSP
· Created and manipulated database program in SQL Server 7.0
· Responsible for developing and maintaining all the Entity and Session beans
· Designed and developed web interfaces using JSP, Servlets, JavaScript and JDBC to administer and manage users and clients
· Participated in the development and deploying of various entity and session Enterprise Java Beans(EJB)

January 2003 – December 2003
Arcades Computers, Ettumanoor, Kottayam, Kerala, India.
Sr. Instructor

· Provided architecture and consulting guidance in the implementation of enterprise level Java solutions, including e-commerce solutions such as: RMI, EJB, Servlets, JDBC, Swing, JSP, Software Engineering Process, Object Oriented Analysis and Design.
· Trained IT Students in Java from basic level to advanced
· Oversaw training and certification process, developed courseware including labs and mentored on Java and JSP
· Conducted interviews and provide hiring recommendations
· Researched and developed courses covering new, leading edge Java technologies and implemented an on-line tutorial
· Organized different IT fests and presented different national seminars and lectures at industry trade shows

Education:

2003: Master of Computer Application (MCA)
Bharathiyar University, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu, India.

2000: Certificate Course in Computer Application
Pental computers, Ettumanoor, Kottayam, Kerala, India .

1996: Bachelor of Commerce (B. Comm.)
Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India.

Membership:
Member of the CSI (Computer Society of India) – Cochin Chapter

Reference:
References available upon request

Last edited:
Joined
Apr 24, 2016
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
Dear Sir,

I have 3 yrs of experience in Java

I happy to help you.
I'm not sure how to contact you
As I could not see your email id any where to send my resume

Please help me, how can I send my resume

Thanks