Looking for Debian complete package for 1.8

Tesla

In a backwards move I have gone from CentOS (fedora) to Xandros (debian)
because the fonts were driving me crazy. Now I find that it is
impossoble to find a debian package for ruby and rails. Anyone know of
one or a solution to the problem? I am not against compiling if I can
get a good apt-get source and it does not destroy Xandros in the process.

I am also entertaining suggestions for linux distros where fonts are
perfect without anti-aliasing. Xandros is the only one I have found in 2
years of looking.

Thanks for any help.

David Brady

Tesla said:
In a backwards move I have gone from CentOS (fedora) to Xandros
(debian) because the fonts were driving me crazy. Now I find that it
is impossoble to find a debian package for ruby and rails. Anyone know
of one or a solution to the problem? I am not against compiling if I
can get a good apt-get source and it does not destroy Xandros in the
process.

Debian vs. Ruby is a Tale of Woe of epic proportions. My understanding
is the authors wanted you to be able to get "just the part you need",
but my experience has been one of constantly finding pieces missing.

I solved the problem with this really, REALLY grody hack:

for pkg in $(apt-cache search ruby | grep -E '^lib' | grep -v 'ruby1.6'
| awk '{print $1}' | wc -l); do echo "Installing $pkg..."; sudo apt-get
--yes --force-yes install $pkg; done

That will install about 95 packages. It's messy and gross, and you'll
end up with a bunch of fiddly weird packages installed, but it worked
for me.

I'm hardly a linux or Debian guru, but sometimes hitting a particularly
annoying problem with a gigantic stone axe is really satisfying. :)

Doesn't get you gem or Rails, however. *sigh* Did I mention the
proportions were epic? :)

-dB

David Brady

David said:
for pkg in $(apt-cache search ruby | grep -E '^lib' | grep -v
'ruby1.6' | awk '{print $1}' | wc -l); do echo "Installing $pkg...";
sudo apt-get --yes --force-yes install $pkg; done

...drop the "| wc -l". That was for me to count the libraries for the
previous e-mail. :)

Corrected:

for pkg in $(apt-cache search ruby | grep -E '^lib' | grep -v 'ruby1.6'
| awk '{print $1}'); do echo "Installing $pkg..."; sudo apt-get --yes
--force-yes install $pkg; done

-dB

Danny Collins

switch your sources to pull from TESTNG and then=20
apt-get update=20
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install ruby rails

then download gems and "build" that and POOF Ruby, Rails and Gems on
Debian - just finished installing it myself

HTH
Danny

David Brady

Danny said:
switch your sources to pull from TESTNG and then
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install ruby rails
Doesn't this mean that EVERY application you have on your system will be
"upgraded" to *testing* versions?

I may have used an unstable source, but the last time I did an apt-get
upgrade with funky sources, it rendered my system unusable (unstable
version of XFree86, for starters).

I'm not a debian guru. Perhaps testing is not the same thing as unstable?

-dB

Jim Weirich

Doesn't this mean that EVERY application you have on your system will be
"upgraded" to *testing* versions?

I may have used an unstable source, but the last time I did an apt-get
upgrade with funky sources, it rendered my system unusable (unstable
version of XFree86, for starters).

I'm not a debian guru. Perhaps testing is not the same thing as unstable?

Testing is somewhere between stable and unstable ... I've found it to be a
fairly comfortable place to live.

If you want to mix and match between testing, stable and unstable, this
article may be helpful: http://jaqque.sbih.org/kplug/apt-pinning.html

Dick Davies

You can cheat - just add the testing (a.k.a. etch) sources,
apt-get update, run the commands, then comment them again and apt-get
update again.

Although I'm not convinced you'll get all of ruby that way, it's a good sta=
rt.

(Incidentally, is everyone seeing my posts twice, or is it a gmail
rendering bug?)

=20
--
David Brady