Looking for *simple* MP3 playing java applet

Paul Jones

Hi,

I'm looking for a small & simple platform-independent java applet to
run from an html web page so that I can offer users the ability to
choose & listen to one or more MP3 tracks.

It's also vital that I can control the applet through javascript from
the same html page in which the java applet is embedded.

I found an *almost* ideal player called TinyPlayer from JZoom but it
does not seem to allow me to change the loaded MP3 which is crucial.

I've found several other java MP3 applets but they are all far too
large and complex for my needs.

Thanks in advance,
Paul

Travis Newbury

Paul said:
I'm looking for a small & simple platform-independent java applet to
run from an html web page so that I can offer users the ability to
choose & listen to one or more MP3 tracks.

Google "java mp3 player download free"

You also might want to try the same search but for Flash rather than
java.

Or just put links to the mp3's and let the visitor decide how they want
to play it.

Paul Jones

Travis said:
Google "java mp3 player download free"

Curiously enough, I've already tried that but nothing I can find comes
close to meeting my requirements.
You also might want to try the same search but for Flash rather than
java.

I turn Flash support off myself, so it's a fair bet that plenty of
other people do this as well. Also how platform dependent is Flash? Is
it available to Linux and Unix users?
Or just put links to the mp3's and let the visitor decide how they want
to play it.

That would destroy the whole look and feel that I'm trying to develop.
I want everything to run from one html page via straight-forward
left-clicks or just clicks if they're using Apple-Macs or other single
mouse button platforms.

Thanks,
Paul

Travis Newbury

Paul said:
I turn Flash support off myself, so it's a fair bet that plenty of
other people do this as well. Also how platform dependent is Flash? Is
it available to Linux and Unix users?

Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
much available for all browsers. I also think you will find out if you
do some investigating, that people that come to sites that have
interaction on them (like you want on your site) usually have flash
turned on, or will turn it on to enjoy the interaction.
That would destroy the whole look and feel that I'm trying to develop.

Then you have a decision to make. The fancier you get the less people
will be able to enjoy your site.
I want everything to run from one html page via straight-forward
left-clicks or just clicks if they're using Apple-Macs or other single
mouse button platforms.

You need to revisit flash.

Ed Seedhouse

Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
much available for all browsers.

"Available" does not equal "installed". As a matter of fact no browser
I know of comes with flash installed. Flash will thus not be available
unless the user has already installed it. Judging by the non-geeks I
know that will be quite a small group among actual normal people.

Er, you are interested in actual normal people using your web site, are
you not?

nagasaki mike

Travis Newbury said:
Bad assumption about "plenty of other people do too" Flash is pretty
much available for all browsers. I also think you will find out if you
do some investigating, that people that come to sites that have
interaction on them (like you want on your site) usually have flash
turned on, or will turn it on to enjoy the interaction.

Then you have a decision to make. The fancier you get the less people
will be able to enjoy your site.

You need to revisit flash.
or take a visit to here.
http://www.spartanicus.utvinternet.ie/embed.htm#audiovideo

Paul Jones

Travis said:
You need to revisit flash.

One of the problems that I personally have with Flash is that it lays
you open to looking at a lot of very invasive advertising, often with
annoying moving images. It also means that you have to watch, or
explicitly turn off, an intro on lots of web sites. I'm clearly at odds
with a lot of people here on this, but I'm not going going to write for
a system that I personally dislike and I'm not going to write a web
site that I can't view on my own system.

Another web site of mine has an average of nearly 3,000 page views per
day. My tracker for this site keeps a record of what plugins my
visitors have installed and the results are as follows:

1. Dynamic HTML Binding 66.7 %
2. Windows Media Services 63.3 %
3. No plug-ins measured 30.0 %
4. Shockwave Flash 6.7 %
5. Shockwave for Director 6.7 %
6. RealPlayer 3.3 %
7. QuickTime 3.3 %

It appears that it is really not true that most people have Flash
installed.

Take care,
Paul

Paul Jones

One solution that I have thought of, but was reluctant to use, is to
wrap the MP3s in zip files and link to those on the Download buttons.
This seems to work fine but, obviously, gives the user the problem with
having to unzip the mp3s when they get them onto their computer.

Take care,
Paul

Travis Newbury

Paul said:
One of the problems that I personally have with Flash is that it lays
you open to looking at a lot of very invasive advertising, often with
annoying moving images.

Yea, there is a lot of abuse.
It also means that you have to watch, or
explicitly turn off, an intro on lots of web sites. I'm clearly at odds
with a lot of people here on this, but I'm not going going to write for
a system that I personally dislike and I'm not going to write a web
site that I can't view on my own system.

No disagreement here. And if a site has too much of that crap, I leave
and never go back. But, I don't shoot the messenger just because I
don't like a few of the messages.
Another web site of mine has an average of nearly 3,000 page views per
day.

The data below is meaningless for any site but that one. This same
tracking done for www.saw3.com would yield totally different results.
My tracker for this site keeps a record of what plugins my
visitors have installed and the results are as follows:

1. Dynamic HTML Binding 66.7 %
2. Windows Media Services 63.3 %
3. No plug-ins measured 30.0 %
4. Shockwave Flash 6.7 %
5. Shockwave for Director 6.7 %
6. RealPlayer 3.3 %
7. QuickTime 3.3 %

It appears that it is really not true that most people have Flash
installed.

Based on visitors to that site. For all I know it could be
www.pluginhaters.com....

The OP wants to present music to the visitor in a player. The content
(the music) and the presentation (the web page and player) are to be
merged into a single entity. So right off the top the OP is saying "I
don't care that there may be a few people that can not see it" If
people coming to his site are there to listen to his music, then they
will turn on Flash or Java, or what ever else is needed to listen. Or
they will leave. If the number of people that listen is satisfactory,
then the number that leave is irrelevant to the success of the site.

Robert Montgomery (CEO CareerBuilder) said it best. "If you can please
80% of your visitors, then you have mastered the web". Since pleasing
100% is impossible, I completely agree with this.

You do what works best for your website. If that is a link to the
music, then do that. If it is a Flash heavy site that has a branded
music or video player, then do that. It is different for every site.

wayne

Travis said:
Paul Jones wrote:
The data below is meaningless for any site but that one. This same
tracking done for www.saw3.com would yield totally different results.

I wonder if the fact that it is a flash site would tend to give
different results? I agree with Paul, flash sucks.

--
Wayne
http://www.glenmeadows.us

Paul Jones

wayne said:
With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
things, that takes religion.
-Steven Weinberg

I love this quotation - I've emailed it to lots of friends.

Thanks,
Paul

wayne

Paul said:
I love this quotation - I've emailed it to lots of friends.

Thanks,
Paul

Glad you like it. I like most quotations of Thomas Jefferson too.

--

wayne said:
I wonder if the fact that it is a flash site would tend to give
different results? I agree with Paul, flash sucks.

And you are welcome to your opinion.