Mac OS X TK

James Edward Gray II

From: James Edward Gray II <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: Mac OS X TK
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:26:17 +0900

Ah, sorry.
/usr/local/bin/ruby -r tcltklib -e 'p TclTkLib::RELEASE_DATE'
/usr/local/bin/ruby -r tkutil -e 'p TkUtil::RELEASE_DATE'
grep RELEASE_DATE /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb

Neo:~$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tcltklib -e 'p TclTkLib::RELEASE_DATE'
"2004-12-23"
Neo:~$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tkutil -e 'p TkUtil::RELEASE_DATE'
"2004-12-23"
Neo:~$ grep RELEASE_DATE /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb
RELEASE_DATE = '2004-12-24'.freeze

Is this what you expected to see?

James Edward Gray II

Hidetoshi NAGAI

From: James Edward Gray II <[email protected]>
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 22:34:51 +0900
Neo:~$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tcltklib -e 'p TclTkLib::RELEASE_DATE'
"2004-12-23"
Neo:~$ /usr/local/bin/ruby -r tkutil -e 'p TkUtil::RELEASE_DATE'
"2004-12-23"
Neo:~$ grep RELEASE_DATE /usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb
RELEASE_DATE = '2004-12-24'.freeze

Is this what you expected to see?

Hmmm...
It tells me that your '/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb' is derived
from 1.8.2 and your '/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/event.rb' is
derived from 1.8.3 (or 1.8.4).
That is very strange.
If you used a really clean source tree and had no errors on
'make install', I cannot understand the reason of your trouble.
Probably, the simplest way to escape the trouble is to replace
all files for Ruby/Tk under '/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/' to files
under '<1.8.2-source>/ext/tk/lib/' by your hand.

James Edward Gray II

Hmmm...
It tells me that your '/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk.rb' is derived
from 1.8.2 and your '/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/tk/event.rb' is
derived from 1.8.3 (or 1.8.4).
That is very strange.
If you used a really clean source tree and had no errors on
'make install', I cannot understand the reason of your trouble.
Probably, the simplest way to escape the trouble is to replace
all files for Ruby/Tk under '/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/' to files
under '<1.8.2-source>/ext/tk/lib/' by your hand.

Bingo! That fixed it.

Thank you very much for all your tireless help!!!

James Edward Gray II

Ezra Zygmuntowicz

Bingo! That fixed it.

Thank you very much for all your tireless help!!!

James Edward Gray II

James-

i have been watching this thread a little bit because I failed to
get tk working on my custom built ruby on OSX tiger. If its not too
much trouble would you mind summarizing the process you just figured
out to get it working? I would very much appreciate it as I think
many others would as well.

Thanks-

-Ezra Zygmuntowicz
WebMaster
Yakima Herald-Republic Newspaper
(e-mail address removed)
509-577-7732

Gavin Kistner

i have been watching this thread a little bit because I failed to
get tk working on my custom built ruby on OSX tiger. If its not too
much trouble would you mind summarizing the process you just
figured out to get it working? I would very much appreciate it as I
think many others would as well.

I certainly would. I have Tk working by using the built-in /usr/bin/
ruby (which I actually renamed /usr/bin/ruby_apple to be clear), but
I'd love to have it working with my home-grown build in /usr/local/
bin/ruby

Gregory Brown

I certainly would. I have Tk working by using the built-in /usr/bin/
ruby (which I actually renamed /usr/bin/ruby_apple to be clear), but
I'd love to have it working with my home-grown build in /usr/local/
bin/ruby

If you have not yet installed 1.8.3 / 1.8.4, you shouldn't have any
polution in your directories...
just rebuild 1.8.2 as described at the top of this page:
http://www.rubygarden.org/ruby?RubyTkOnOSX

After months of failing at getting Tk installed, I followed those
instructions and it just 'worked'

James Edward Gray II

If you have not yet installed 1.8.3 / 1.8.4, you shouldn't have any
polution in your directories...

Greg is right that most of my trouble was causes by bad library
files. If you're not having that problem, it should be quite easy to
get working.

The biggest gotcha I found: TK-Aqua doesn't require X11, but Ruby/TK
does! It will only work if you have it installed.

James Edward Gray II