mail through a server

Nikhil

Can anybody tell me how to send an email using javamail surpassing the
server setup in a LAN?

Tim Slattery

Nikhil said:
Can anybody tell me how to send an email using javamail surpassing the
server setup in a LAN?

When you use javamail, you specify the domain name and port of an SMTP
server. The most logical thing is to use your own LAN's server, but
you can use anything that will allow you in. Of course, if your LAN
blocks port 25, you're kind of stuck.

ruds

When you use javamail, you specify the domain name and port of an SMTP
server. The most logical thing is to use your own LAN's server, but
you can use anything that will allow you in. Of course, if your LAN
blocks port 25, you're kind of stuck.

Does this mean ,I can give name of any machine in LAN as host name and
send mails??

Gordon Beaton

Does this mean ,I can give name of any machine in LAN as host name
and send mails??

No. You must send your mail through a machine that:

- runs an SMTP server
- is willing to relay your outgoing mail

The second of these normally restricts you to your LANs (or ISPs) mail
server.

You can also relay through the mail server that corresponds to the
recipient of each mail, but that makes your client unnecessarily
complex, since it needs to do much of the transport job normally done
by the mail server (for example, it would need to determine the
correct recipient server, and handle transient errors properly). I
don't recommend this approach.

/gordon

Gordon Beaton

Is there a way i can bypass my SMTP host and send mail?

You can specify any host the meets the two requirements I wrote in my
earlier post. However the *best* and *easiest* solution uses your own
ISPs SMTP host.

/gordon