MailMan integrated with JSP/Servlet integration

michela rossi

Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a client for whom we are building a website using J2SE & TOMCAT
4.1.7. (at clients request). The client also has an installation of
MailMan that they would like us to use to validate registered users.

All well and good, but given that the bulk of the websites code will
be written using Java, and MailMan is written in Python - this seems
to represent a problem or two : e.g. how will the Java code
interrogate the MailMan installation to find out whether a user has
validated correctly? Is there any kind of Java interface that anyone
knows about?

Any help would be most welcome,
Thanks, Michela.

Andreas Kostyrka

Am Sa, den 15.05.2004 schrieb michela rossi um 15:39:
Hi,
Wonder if anyone can help me.

I have a client for whom we are building a website using J2SE & TOMCAT
4.1.7. (at clients request). The client also has an installation of
MailMan that they would like us to use to validate registered users.

All well and good, but given that the bulk of the websites code will
be written using Java, and MailMan is written in Python - this seems
to represent a problem or two : e.g. how will the Java code
interrogate the MailMan installation to find out whether a user has
validated correctly? Is there any kind of Java interface that anyone
knows about?
Well the authentication game is fairly easy: Just access an URL that
requires authentication.

This should work both ways: Java -> Mailman and Mailman -> Java :)

Andreas

michela rossi

Andreas Kostyrka said:
Am Sa, den 15.05.2004 schrieb michela rossi um 15:39:
Well the authentication game is fairly easy: Just access an URL that
requires authentication.

This should work both ways: Java -> Mailman and Mailman -> Java :)

Andreas

Andreas,

Thanks - but I don't really understand the reply. Can you expand at all?
Thanks, Michela.

Christopher A. Craig

Andreas,

Thanks - but I don't really understand the reply. Can you expand at all?
Thanks, Michela.

The easiest way is to make a seperate page (and it doesn't matter what
it's written in) that authenticates users and issues authentication
cookies. Then you need to change mailman and the java stuff to
respect those cookies.

For an example, see Yale's CAS:
http://www.yale.edu/tp/cas/

michela rossi

The easiest way is to make a seperate page (and it doesn't matter what
it's written in) that authenticates users and issues authentication
cookies. Then you need to change mailman and the java stuff to
respect those cookies.

For an example, see Yale's CAS:
http://www.yale.edu/tp/cas/

Sounds good - except cookies not allowed.

Christopher A. Craig

Sounds good - except cookies not allowed.

I don't see how you're going to use mailman at all then. The stock
version of mailman is very cookie dependent and I don't know of any
patch that changes that.