making an "executable" for a python code (newbie)

Pradnyesh Sawant

hello,
i have some python scripts (especially, PyQt4 scripts) that i want to
deploy on both linux and windows m/c's. different packaging tools that
i checked (cx_freeze, distutils, pyinstaller) allow me to create
"installers". however, i'm interested in creating "executables" that
allow the code to be run just on "double clicking". is there any way
to get this done?
also, it seems that "pyexe" creates a windows executable, but how do i
use it on linux?

thanks for all the help!

John Machin

hello,
i have some python scripts (especially, PyQt4 scripts) that i want to
deploy on both linux and windows m/c's. different packaging tools that
i checked (cx_freeze, distutils, pyinstaller) allow me to create
"installers". however, i'm interested in creating "executables" that
allow the code to be run just on "double clicking". is there any way
to get this done?
also, it seems that "pyexe" creates a windows executable, but how do i
use it on linux?

thanks for all the help!

pyinstaller: The very first sentence on its website is "PyInstaller is
a program that converts (packages) Python programs into stand-alone
executables, under Windows, Linux and Irix."

ditto(gadget="cx_Freeze", blurb="cx_Freeze is a set of utilities for
freezing Python scripts into executables ...") and there are later
mentions of Linux and various other .*[xX] platforms.

It would be helpful for future inquirers if you were to say why these
two packages seem to meet your need but after checking, you have found
that they don't.

Cheers,
John