making applets run on older versions of java?

yawnmoth

According to [1], "new versions of Java do not uninstall old ones
automatically. This preserves some backwards compatibility issues with
the software and older java applications that were version specific."
Versions of Java newer than 1.6.0_03 have a bug [2] that breaks an
applet of mine, so I'd like to have the applet use older versions of
Java, if available. Any ideas as to how I might do this?:

[1] http://blog.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2008/01/massive_java_update_includes_s.html#c1962236
[2] http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6622150

Andrew Thompson

Versions of Java newer than 1.6.0_03 have a bug [2] that breaks an
applet of mine, so I'd like to have the applet use older versions of
Java, if available.  Any ideas as to how I might do this?: ...
[2]http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6622150

Webstart. Not only can it run an app. in a specific
Java version, but since that bug report was specific
to FF, launching using webstart will probably make the
problem vanish for all VMs.