Manipulating Bitmaps

Divvy Ballacks

Hello, I wonder if some *kind* sole can help me here. I wish to write a
program which reads in 9 bitmap files (each bit map is 71 wide by 96 high,
96 dpi, bit depth = 4, frame count =1) and writes to disk a file called
"piccie.jpg" which comprises of the 9 bitmaps (1.bmp, 2.bmp, 3.bmp ...
8.bmp 9.bmp) arranged in a nice 3x3 square. Can anyone supply me with the
code to do this in the simplest way possible. I don't have any money to buy
a book although I had a Schildt many years ago & dunno where it is now. I'd
be most appreciative.

Grateful In Advance

Mister Divvy Ballacks.

Alf P. Steinbach

* Divvy Ballacks:
Hello, I wonder if some *kind* sole can help me here. I wish to write a
program which reads in 9 bitmap files (each bit map is 71 wide by 96 high,
96 dpi, bit depth = 4, frame count =1) and writes to disk a file called
"piccie.jpg" which comprises of the 9 bitmaps (1.bmp, 2.bmp, 3.bmp ...
8.bmp 9.bmp) arranged in a nice 3x3 square. Can anyone supply me with the
code to do this in the simplest way possible. I don't have any money to buy
a book although I had a Schildt many years ago & dunno where it is now. I'd
be most appreciative.

C++ does not include bitmap handling in its standard library, so
technically your question is off-topic in [clc++].

However, there is a very large number of free programs and libraries
that do what you want.

E.g., take a look at <url: http://www.imagemagick.org/>, which is a
collection of both utility programs and libraries; if you want you can
use the C and/or C++ interfaces, but I'd just script the thing.

Crossposted and follow-ups to [comp.programming].