Mastering Java

Gerald

Hi ,Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student.Unfortunately my
curriculum did not include Java programming yet I see many vacancies
for Java developers.I studied programming Pascal,C++ and Delphi.So I
need to catch up quickly and master Java programming.How do you
suggest that I achieve this goal?What is the best way?And how long
would it take before I can make Java applications?What websites can
you recommend?

Andrew Thompson

..What websites can you recommend?

I recommend Sun's own 'Java tutorial'. It
should be the top hit in your favorite search
engine. Also, since you seem to take such
care to express your message, I will point
out that having two spaces (' ') at the
end of each sentence, makes them much easier
to read.

HTH

Andrew T.

tony_se

Hi ,Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student.Unfortunately my
curriculum did not include Java programming yet I see many vacancies
for Java developers.I studied programming Pascal,C++ and Delphi.So I
need to catch up quickly and master Java programming.How do you
suggest that I achieve this goal?What is the best way?And how long
would it take before I can make Java applications?What websites can
you recommend?

Learning by Doing!! You can pick up one of the projects you've done
in other languages and implement it in Java. At the beginning, you
will
find it hard; but after that, you will be familiar with Java
technology.

Tony

jupiter

Andrew Thompson said:
I will point
out that having two spaces (' ') at the
end of each sentence, makes them much easier
to read.

HTH

Andrew T.

Et tu, Andrew? I don't know where I learned that. It does improve
readability though. Is this an EB White Elements of Style thing?
I don't even remember.

I think I'll email the president and ask him.

John W. Kennedy

jupiter said:
Et tu, Andrew? I don't know where I learned that. It does improve
readability though. Is this an EB White Elements of Style thing?
I don't even remember.

It used to be taught in each and every typing class. It has fallen into
desuetude in recent years because it normally looks clumsy in
proportionally spaced fonts, and, in some software, leads to oddities
something like the following example (which I've formed artificially).
See how this line looks? That's the problem. In fact, this would be
all over websites, if HTML did not have a specific rule that /all/
whitespace sequences, of whatever size, are automatically reduced to a
single space.

There is something to be said for sticking to the old rule when, for
whatever reason, one is working in a monospace font, but it's very
difficult for most touch typists to teach the fingers to follow two
different sets of rules.

--
John W. Kennedy
"The bright critics assembled in this volume will doubtless show, in

Chris Uppal

John W. Kennedy wrote:

[someone else:]
It used to be taught in each and every typing class. It has fallen into
desuetude in recent years because it normally looks clumsy in
proportionally spaced fonts, [...

Nothing to do with monospaced fonts. If anything (and in the absence of
sensible typesetting software), double-spaced sentences are /more/ valuable in
variable-width fonts, because '.' and ' ' tend to be very narrow.

...] and, in some software, leads to oddities
something like the following example (which I've formed artificially).
See how this line looks? That's the problem.

The problem in such cases (they aren't common) is line-wrapping software
written or specified by an idiot.

-- chris

fy4.net

Hi ,Im a BSc4 Maths/Computer Science student.Unfortunately my
curriculum did not include Java programming yet I see many vacancies
for Java developers.I studied programming Pascal,C++ and Delphi.So I
need to catch up quickly and master Java programming.How do you
suggest that I achieve this goal?What is the best way?And how long
would it take before I can make Java applications?What websites can
you recommend?

More see here!
http://www.flash50.com/index.php