Max width for an DOM element?

jshanman

I am creating a dynamic timeline using javascript. I previously used
Google Maps API to create the same effect, but with their recent
changes to APIv2, it doesn't work the same and loses functionality.

Working example with original Google Code:
http://www.endeavorpub.com/wiki/map.php

So I deceided to create my own dhtml timeline that does exactly what I
want it to and is not limited by Google API...

Here is the test page:
http://www.endeavorpub.com/wiki/test.html

My question: Is there a maximum width that you can apply to an HTML
element? If you click the "+" button until "SetZoom" is 19, the
program tries to set the width of the moveable DIV to 2.09715e+8px.
Will this not work on any/all browsers?

Feel free to tear apart the code, I'm sure theres many other problems
at this point, but I want to focus on creating an interface that allows
the user to seemlessly scroll from 4000 BC to the current date at any 1
of ~22 zoom levels. (yeah, I'll get the Julian part working again
later..)

I may <i>eventually</i> try to release it as a standalone API for other
deveopers to use...

Thank you for your feedback!
- JS

jshanman

jshanman said:
[...]

I've come up with a differant solution, but I'm still curious if there
is a maximum width that can be applied to an element? Would it be the
largest integer supported by the browser?

- JS