Maximum request length exceeded.

Lloyd Dupont

I'm experimenting with an upload file page.
I have a few HtmlInputFile on it.

While testing it, I selected a 12MBfile, click "upload".
I was think I am safe as (at last in the code) I don't upload file bigger
than 1MB.

At the top of my request there is a module where I access the request and
while querying a parameter:
string var = context.Request["param"]

I get the following exception:
===
System.Web.HttpException was unhandled by user code
Message="Maximum request length exceeded."
Source="System.Web"
ErrorCode=-2147467259
StackTrace:
at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetEntireRawContent()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.GetMultipartContent()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.FillInFormCollection()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Form()
at System.Web.HttpRequest.get_Item(String key)
at LangModule.HTranslate(Object sender, EventArgs e) in
f:\MyWork\eCookBook\WebSite\asp.net\App_Code\LangModule.cs:line 36
at
System.Web.HttpApplication.SyncEventExecutionStep.System.Web.HttpApplication.IExecutionStep.Execute()
at System.Web.HttpApplication.ExecuteStep(IExecutionStep step,
Boolean& completedSynchronously)
===

What could I do to get around that?
I mean, I don't want to download 12MB file (I just skip the upload and write
a error status message) and I don't want them to cause my application to
fail....

Perhaps some Javascript?

Mark S. Milley, MCAD (BinarySwitch)

The default maximumRequestLength is 4 mb. While ASP.NET can handle much
larger files, MS recommends a 10-20 mb limit for the files.

If you're using ASP.NET 1.1, try sticking this in your web config file
(16mb limit) somewhere inside of <system.web>

<httpRuntime maxRequestLength="16384" />

See:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...-us/cpgenref/html/gngrfhttpruntimesection.asp

In ASP.NET 2.0, you can set this dynamically at the page level.

See:
http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/li...tion.httpruntimesection.maxrequestlength.aspx

Joined
Oct 29, 2010
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
This issue can be handled in Global.ascx file

In the Application_Event function of Global.ascx.cs file, put the following line:

Response.Close();

Then you will have your issue gone.

For more information about this, please read
justinyue.wordpress.com/2010/10/29/handle-the-maximum-request-length-exceeded-error-for-asyncfileupload-control/