Memory Leak in ASP.NET

Guest

Hi all

I am not an ASP developer but I am in a support case for our customer who's experiencing resource problems that seems to be ASP.NET related. Basically our app is built on .NET Framework 1.1 and provides reporting Web UI. The problem is, when our customer schedules a reporting job, the memory usage by aspnet_wp.exe just start to jump in dozens of Megabytes. this situation seems to be compounded when customer schedules say, 10 simultaneous reporting jobs, in which case you will see the memory usages break the ceiling of 1GB at which point tasks start to fail and customer will have to restart IIS

Any idea what could be done to pin point the leak? What can I do to address the leak

BTW, I am using the nospam email address to indicate my MS subscription status. Did I do it right?

David Browne

Xing said:
Hi all,

I am not an ASP developer but I am in a support case for our customer
who's experiencing resource problems that seems to be ASP.NET related.
Basically our app is built on .NET Framework 1.1 and provides reporting Web
UI. The problem is, when our customer schedules a reporting job, the memory
usage by aspnet_wp.exe just start to jump in dozens of Megabytes. this
situation seems to be compounded when customer schedules say, 10
simultaneous reporting jobs, in which case you will see the memory usages
break the ceiling of 1GB at which point tasks start to fail and customer
will have to restart IIS.
Any idea what could be done to pin point the leak? What can I do to address the leak?

It sounds like the application is designed to use large amounts of memory
for each reporting job. This must be addressed by the application
developer.

David

Guest

Thanks for the quick response! The process that's eating up the memory is the one from ASP.NET, aspnet_wp.exe. I agree that the memory issue must have to do with the way our app uses ASP.NET, or maybe it's a bug in ASP.NET. How do I go about and figure it out? Also, it would be OK if the process just needs huge amount of memory temporarily, but it doesn't release the memory after the reporting jobs, which makes the case a leak

Xing

Michael Pearson

Maybe a GC.Collect() needs to be called after the report is done
processing??
I've found that running a service that processes reports outside of the
aspnet_wp.exe really helps things out.

Michael

Xing said:
Thanks for the quick response! The process that's eating up the memory is
the one from ASP.NET, aspnet_wp.exe. I agree that the memory issue must have
to do with the way our app uses ASP.NET, or maybe it's a bug in ASP.NET. How
do I go about and figure it out? Also, it would be OK if the process just
needs huge amount of memory temporarily, but it doesn't release the memory
after the reporting jobs, which makes the case a leak.

Gibs

Which reporting tool you are using?
We have the same problems for our reports and we are using crystal reports
tool.

Xing said:
Hi all,

I am not an ASP developer but I am in a support case for our customer
who's experiencing resource problems that seems to be ASP.NET related.
Basically our app is built on .NET Framework 1.1 and provides reporting Web
UI. The problem is, when our customer schedules a reporting job, the memory
usage by aspnet_wp.exe just start to jump in dozens of Megabytes. this
situation seems to be compounded when customer schedules say, 10
simultaneous reporting jobs, in which case you will see the memory usages
break the ceiling of 1GB at which point tasks start to fail and customer
will have to restart IIS.
Any idea what could be done to pin point the leak? What can I do to address the leak?

BTW, I am using the nospam email address to indicate my MS subscription
status. Did I do it right?

Rick Spiewak

This sounds like it is coming from a COM component. If you're using any COM
components, you should implement a Finalize handler, and make sure they are
all released.

John Timney \(Microsoft MVP\)

Also, check that your app is not doing lots of string concatonation without
using the stringbuilder class, concatonation without it can consume memory
and cause a memory leak. Its outlined in technet somewhere but I cant
recall the URL.

--
Regards

John Timney
Microsoft Regional Director
Microsoft MVP

Prodip Saha

I had a similar issue with the aspnet_wp. Memeory was balooned too high and
the workers process was restarting.

I was using a 3rd party tool. So initially I did not know who to
blame--Microsoft or 3rd Party. After some investigative I found the 3rd
party control was eating up all the memory during some formatting calls and
I used an alternative approach to solve the memory problem.

The information provided here is too little to conclude. My suggestion would
be --identify the process/function/method that is chewing up the memory and
post the codes (or pseudo codes) in the group to get a better answer.

Prodip

Xing said:
Hi all,

I am not an ASP developer but I am in a support case for our customer
who's experiencing resource problems that seems to be ASP.NET related.
Basically our app is built on .NET Framework 1.1 and provides reporting Web
UI. The problem is, when our customer schedules a reporting job, the memory
usage by aspnet_wp.exe just start to jump in dozens of Megabytes. this
situation seems to be compounded when customer schedules say, 10
simultaneous reporting jobs, in which case you will see the memory usages
break the ceiling of 1GB at which point tasks start to fail and customer
will have to restart IIS.
Any idea what could be done to pin point the leak? What can I do to address the leak?

BTW, I am using the nospam email address to indicate my MS subscription
status. Did I do it right?

Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
w3wp.exe

I had the similar situation. I'm using .net 1.1, Crystal Reports 10 on win2k3 server. Any idea what could be done to pin point the leak? What can I do to
address the leak?

Joined
Jun 28, 2006
Messages