Memory Leak in ASP.NET 2.0 Web Page

deepak

Hi,
We are facing big issue on performnace of onw web application which has only
one aspx Page called 'SolutionReport'. This page is sometimes very slow when
some items are selected in drop down and takes say 40 seconds to reload the
page again.

In order to troublshoot it, based on article(Section : Memory bottlenecks)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms998583.aspx#scalenetchapt17_topic6

we did some analysis and found that

Process\Private Bytes (aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe)
..NET CLR Memory\# Bytes in all Heaps (aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe)

While Process\Virtual Bytes (aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe)
remain consistence which means memory is leaking somehow.

We are not able to find in code and due to longcode we are not able to show
yo due to character limitation so let us know where is memory leaking ?

Andy O'Neill

deepak said:
Hi,
We are facing big issue on performnace of onw web application which has
only
one aspx Page called 'SolutionReport'. This page is sometimes very slow
when
we did some analysis and found that

Process\Private Bytes (aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe)
.NET CLR Memory\# Bytes in all Heaps (aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe)

Found what?
While Process\Virtual Bytes (aspnet_wp.exe or w3wp.exe)
remain consistence which means memory is leaking somehow.

We are not able to find in code and due to longcode we are not able to
show
yo due to character limitation so let us know where is memory leaking

Here's a no memory leak guess.
Have you looked at what it stores in session?
Does it, for example, collect a shed load of data into a datatatable and
then store it in session?
Because that'd burn through memory pretty quick if you have a number of
concurrent users.

No?
In that case stick a break point in and see if one specific aspect takes up
all the time.

There's an outside chance you just need with nolocks in your select
statement.

Gregory A. Beamer

deepak said:
[...]

As it stands, what I hear is this:

1. Page is not optimized
2. Page code is spaghetti code
3. There are few routines to isolate potential problem areas
4. Dev team does not understand how to isolate memory leaks

All of these are a disaster for finding the error and there is not enough
info for me to point you to a solution. But, I will try anyway.

Consider this tool: http://bit.ly/9JJBvl

It is a tool that might be able to help you pinpoint the problem. One
article on the tool that might help:
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/919792?p=1

If it reveals nothing of use, you have to debug and watch memory counters,
which is a pain in the hind quarters.

The other suggestion is refactor the code so you can more easily debug it.
Having it seaparated out for unit tests is also good.

--
Peace and Grace,
Greg

Twitter: @gbworld

| Think outside the box! |

deepak

Hi Gregory/Andy,

We are looking on this url provided by you and are usign this tool now.
Will get back to you with our analysis ASAP.Also we wil try to refractor the
code and wil do Unit Testing.

Actually the code lines are too much and hence we could not paster it here
due to cheracter limitation in this editor.

Regards,
Deepak