Memory Problems in Windows 2003 Server

amdescombes

Hi,

I am using Python 2.5.1
I have an application that reads a file and generates a key in a
dictionary for each line it reads. I have managed to read a 1GB file and
generate more than 8 million keys on an Windows XP machine with only 1GB
of memory and all works as expected. When I use the same program on a
Windows 2003 Server with 2GB of RAM I start getting MemoryError exceptions!
I have tried setting the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE on both
Python.exe and Python25.dll and setting the /3GB flag on the boot.ini
file to no avail. I still get the MemoryError exceptions.

Has anybody encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Best Regards,

André M. Descombes

brad

amdescombes said:
Hi,

I am using Python 2.5.1
I have an application that reads a file and generates a key in a
dictionary for each line it reads. I have managed to read a 1GB file and
generate more than 8 million keys on an Windows XP machine with only 1GB
of memory and all works as expected. When I use the same program on a
Windows 2003 Server with 2GB of RAM I start getting MemoryError exceptions!
I have tried setting the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE on both
Python.exe and Python25.dll and setting the /3GB flag on the boot.ini
file to no avail. I still get the MemoryError exceptions.

Has anybody encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Best Regards,

André M. Descombes

How are you reading the large files? IMO, large files are better read in
chunks:

target_file = open(f, 'rb')
while 1:
data = target_file.read(8192000)
if data:
DO SOMETHING
else:
break

The above reads 8MB at a time until the file has been completely read.
Change the 8MB to whatever you like.

brad

amdescombes said:
Hi,

I am using Python 2.5.1
I have an application that reads a file and generates a key in a
dictionary for each line it reads. I have managed to read a 1GB file and
generate more than 8 million keys on an Windows XP machine with only 1GB
of memory and all works as expected. When I use the same program on a
Windows 2003 Server with 2GB of RAM I start getting MemoryError exceptions!
I have tried setting the IMAGE_FILE_LARGE_ADDRESS_AWARE on both
Python.exe and Python25.dll and setting the /3GB flag on the boot.ini
file to no avail. I still get the MemoryError exceptions.

Has anybody encountered this problem before?

Thanks in advance for any ideas/suggestions.

Best Regards,

André M. Descombes

I forgot to mention that the OS itself or other processes may be using a
lot of memory. So, just because you have 2GB, that does not mean you can
access all of that at once. I would guess that 25% of memory is in
constant use by the OS. So, do your IO/reads in smaller chunks similar
to the example I gave earlier.

Brad

AMD

Hi Brad,

I do the reading one line at a time, the problem seems to be with the
dictionary I am creating.

Andre

Tim Roberts

AMD said:
I do the reading one line at a time, the problem seems to be with the
dictionary I am creating.

I don't know whether Python dictionaries must live in a contiguous piece of
memory, but if so, that could be the issue. The system DLLs in Server 2003
have been "rebased" in such a way that they chop up the virtual address
space more than XP. Even though there is more virtual memory available, it
is fragmented.

amdescombes

Yes, I think that might be the issue, perhaps I could implement the
solution using several dictionaries instead of just one.
Are there any classes that implement disk based dictionaries?

Thanks,

Andre

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Are there any classes that implement disk based dictionaries?

Take a look at the `shelve` module from the standard library.

Or object databases like ZODB or Durus.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

AMD

Thanks Marc,

I just tried shelve but it is very slow :(
I haven't tried the dbs yet.

Andre