memset

Bill Cunningham

Osmium said:
You can even get an old edition for 97 cents plus postage "and
stuff", less than $5 total.
Search "k n king" amazon.

Wow that's a good price. I have someone taking care of my money I get
for social security disability and they allow me $50 a week. So things are
kind of rough.

Michael Angelo Ravera

[QUOTE="Richard said:
Thanks Michael but I will have to admit; a lot of this is a littleover
my head right now. There's just something about these pointers. But I guess
that's a common problem with persons who use C. I am a hobbyist. I have been
trying to learn C on and off for a long time. I take a break for a while and
I am finding learn as you go seems to slowly work. I appreciate any help
though. It doesn't go unnoticed.

Bill
No. It doesn't ... lol.

What I love is the implication in Bill's posts (the one above and others

over the years) that there is some big do-ha to learning C. For crying out

loud, it's a programming language; it's not like it's a spoken foreign

language (which really does take years of study and effort to learn). In

the real world, people are expected to pick up programming languages and

start using them in a matter of days.

BTW, welcome "Michael Angelo Ravera" to the small group of twisted nuts who
post in both CLC and RGB. There's a lot of similarity between the two
groups - both arenas (C and Bridge) offer a lot of opportunities for
cliquishness and snarkiness. As far as I know, there are 3 in the club at
present (me, Martin Ambuhl, and now you).[/QUOTE]

I've been posting to both for quite a while and notice that you do also. I try to avoid snarkiness in both groups (and the others in which I post). Ifsomeone is legitimately asking a question, there is no need to to belittlethem for asking it. I have explained previous to Bill a list of about 7 fundamental concepts that he needs to understand in order to program in C (and many other languages to, but C is the least forgiving of those who don't understand these concepts). You might get by in some languages without understanding these concepts, but not in C.

James Kuyper

On 04/22/2014 06:23 PM, Michael Angelo Ravera wrote:
... If someone is legitimately asking a question, there is
no need to to belittle them for asking it. ...

There is considerable reason for doubting the legitimacy of Bill
Cunningham's questions. He's been posting messages to comp.lang.c since
at least 2002-06-04 (according to Google Group's admittedly flaky
database), and has been "learning" C the whole time. Those questions
often reflect apparent confusion so deep as to be incoherent; the same
is true of his responses to other people's advice. He's been given
plenty of answers to his questions that were as good as they could be,
given the incoherence of his questions. He's been given lots of good
advice. Yet he's still asking new questions that are essentially the
same as questions he first asked a decade ago.

He has claimed that drugs he has been prescribed inhibit his ability to
learn; apparently those drugs have, among other things, inhibited his
ability to learn how futile it is to attempt to learn C while taking
such drugs. Whether he's legitimately incapable of learning, or some
weird kind of troll, trying to help him is unlikely to cause anything
other than frustration.

You are, of course, free to make your own decision about whether to
bother trying to help him - but I'd recommend making it an informed
decision, by reviewing some of his posting history:
<https://groups.google.com/forum/#!t...me$3A"Bill$20Cunningham"|sort:date|spell:true>

Bill Cunningham

[snip]

He's been posting messages to comp.lang.c since
at least 2002-06-04 (according to Google Group's admittedly flaky
database), and has been "learning" C the whole time.

Really? I didn't know that. And I figure if anyone I would know. I have
been /studying/ and /considering/ C on and off for the length of time you
mentioned (maybe). One reason for not learning is I admit frustrations and
leaving C for sometimes 6 months to almost a year. And as I say I have been
asking about C for consideration. Serious consideration. My main interest is
in *nixs and you can;t do that without C.

Bill

Jorgen Grahn

Of course the documentation is very often bad, I think we all agree on that.

In the case of getaddrinfo(), I think the documentation is good, but
the functionality is complex and it concerns the parts of the BSD
socket interface where the terminology is vague.

/Jorgen