[META] The signal/noise ratio - a plea for a sense of proportion

Default User

Clever said:
Default User wrote:

Are you sure you ought to be so offended? One can disagree, of
course, but I see nothing here to be disgusted about.

Yesterday I was, today not so much.

I think we've come to a satisfactory conclusion for the time being.

Brian

Clever Monkey

Richard said:
Default User said:
Richard said:
[I tried composing a point-by-point response to Brian's article, but
no matter how I worded it, it always came out as "fitin' woids",
which won't help anyone, so...]
Feel free to drop me a note off-line if you prefer.

I don't think that would help, to be honest. Suffice to say that I didn't
agree with everything you said, but I don't want to turn this into a
bar-room brawl.
I'm not in a fitin' mood today,

Likewise. Perhaps we both just need a beer. And maybe a beer or two.

And a beer. And peanuts.

With beer.
You beer count beers the beer way I beer count beers.

There are few problems between reasonable people that cannot be settled
over a few pints. Sadly, USENET lacks such ability.

Ian Malone

Default said:
Old Wolf wrote:

Nonsense. The posts clue in the offender AND others.

The number of new people that do it (and 99% of new people
doing it is a better, but still inaccurate, generalization
I think than 99% of top posters being from Google[1]) suggests
that they generally don't read the group before posting.
This is something difficult to fix.

[1] Or AOL, or set top internet or whatever it was called, or
deja etc. It's generally either new people or stubborn
people that ignore group conventions.

Charlton Wilbur

Richard Heathfield said:
Oh well. I tried. I guess I'll have to think of some other solution.

Might I suggest a set of posting guidelines? Call it "Improve Your
Odds Of Getting A Better Response," or something, and include all the
usual problems:

* Don't top-post

* Include enough context from the thread

* Copy & paste the minimum amount of code necessary to demonstrate
the problem; don't retype

* Make sure you're using C; c.l.c++ is down the hall

* Make sure your problem is a C problem; operating system newsgroups
are down the hall

Then the newbie chastising can take the form of a pointer to the
posting guidelines, and the regulars can appropriately killfile or
score down anyone who flouts them too often.

Charlton

Charlton Wilbur

Do you doubt it? Seriously? How often do you see top-posting from
someone not posting via Google?

This may be why I don't see it much; some time ago I plonked Google as
a news host, on the theory that anyone with enough wit to be worth
reading would not use it. In a year, I've found two people who
disprove the theory.

Charlton

Richard Heathfield

Charlton Wilbur said:
Might I suggest a set of posting guidelines? Call it "Improve Your
Odds Of Getting A Better Response," or something, and include all the
usual problems:

Not a bad idea.
* Don't top-post

You may find http://www.cpax.org.uk/prg/writings/topposting.php to be an
entertaining explanation of why not to top-post.

<other important points snipped - maybe I'll address them in a Web page at
some point>

Charlton said:
This may be why I don't see it much; some time ago I plonked Google as
a news host, on the theory that anyone with enough wit to be worth
reading would not use it. In a year, I've found two people who
disprove the theory.

I used Google for several months at the start of 2005, due to serious
problems with the news feed at work. I also realize that many people
from other countries would struggle to pay even the relatively nominal
fee for news.individual.net, which is 10 euro/year (currently about $13
US).

As such, I have sympathy for the Google users, and would prefer to help
them become good netizens rather than ignoring them.

Brian