"Metaclass" Name Survey

why the lucky stiff

Lionel said:
Trans a écrit :

MyClass.meta => meta class of MyClass
object.meta => singleton/meta object of object

Come on: catself.

MyClass.catself
object.catself

Benefits:
1. It sounds the way it looks!
2. The "special singleton class" is _truly_ nothing more than a cat
clinging to the pant leg of a Ruby object!
3. Cat's elf! (Translation: Pets owning humankinds is cool.)
4. If you have a secret feline identity, you may refer to You as "self"
and Whiskered You as "cat self". So it is with objects!
5. c(lass) @ self!
6. catself.net and catself.org domains are available, whereas meta and
metaclass domains are not!
7. Here's a simple reason: It's easy to use.
8. CA TSE LF (CAlifornia TSE-tse fly in LF radio band.) That's a _very_
visual representation of this ambiguous element and people will really
latch on to this image!
9. Did I say the one about feline identity? Because, in retrospect, I'm
thinking such line of reasoning could be a strike against this proposal.
But I'm leaving it in for now anyway, since this is informal and we're
all bosom friends here.
10. Easy to make the meta-object kind called with an "o" -- oatself.
See, that was a no-brainer.

I'd love to hear from my critics at this point.

_why

why the lucky stiff

Hal said:
Sorry, but they all just had aneurysms.

Having an aneurysm during an argument has got to be the OLDEST strawman
in the book! This is so typical of my critics.

_why

George Ogata

Trans said:
I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
accessing (class << self; self; end).

Does any other language have this feature?

If not, then I assume Matz came up with the idea, so "Matz class"
(#matz_class) would be a natural choice...

(0.5 serious)

Yeah?

William Morgan

Excerpts from Trans's mail of 26 Apr 2005 (EDT):
I'm taking a vote/survey on what would be the best method name for
accessing (class << self; self; end).

I voted for awesomeclass. Because they're awesome.

Are you with me?

(iliasclass was a close second)