    load libraries, it seems that in Ruby most of the libraries are loaded
    by themselves when needed. When exactly do I need to include other
    libraries?

    Claudio Freda, Feb 18, 2010

  2. Sure just do it! Methods only need to exist when then are "called"
    and even then you can use the method_missing hook to define them on
    the fly if you need to.
    Look at JRuby's ability to create .class files for the JVM, but you
    might want to keep an open mind about whether you *really* need to
    compile.
    It's a way to have multiple versions of libraries on your system.
    You'll know you need more because something doesn't exist. For
    example, there are some useful methods on Date that are only available
    if you "require 'date'" in your code. (Not the best example because
    that's not a gem, but a standard library, i.e., it comes as part of
    Ruby.)

    -Rob

    Rob Biedenharn, Feb 18, 2010

    how to unsubscribe from this mailing list can any one please reply me.

    thanks
    sandeep

    sandeep bupathi, Feb 18, 2010
  4. Wait, I explain my problem.
    In C++ I would have been able to to this:

    void function();
    function();
    void function() {
    cout<<"The function has been executed"
    }

    And it would still print "The function has been executed"

    In ruby instead if I do this:

    def method; end

    method

    def method
    print ('The method has been executed')
    end

    it just prints me nothing; I think it has something to do with ruby's
    dynamic definitions.

    Just how to achieve the same thing in ruby? (summoning a function that
    is declared later in the code)

    Claudio Freda, Feb 18, 2010
  5. What Rob wanted to say is that you don't need to declare a function
    (method). You just call it, and it has to have been defined before the
    call. But be aware that the code inside a method is not executed when
    it's parsed, only when the method is called, so you can have this:

    irb(main):001:0> def caller
    irb(main):002:1> method("a")
    irb(main):003:1> end
    =3D> nil
    irb(main):004:0> def method(s)
    irb(main):005:1> puts s
    irb(main):006:1> end
    =3D> nil
    irb(main):007:0> caller

    You can have the definition of caller before the definition of method.
    What you can't do is call caller before defining method.

    Hope this clears up a bit,

    Jesus.

    Jesús Gabriel y Galán, Feb 18, 2010
  6. You need that in C / C++ only because implementations are split to
    header and source files. We don't do that in Ruby. Instead, we
    implement whatever functionality we need and place it in one or more
    rb files. Those are then read by using "require".
    That's not a problem as long as execution starts later:

    def foo
    method
    end

    def method
    puts 'It works!'
    end

    foo

    This is typically the case if your required files contain declarations only=

    Robert Klemme, Feb 19, 2010