Microsoft Passport SDK

Mr Newbie

I'm trying to learn about passport authentication on ASP.NET 1.X but I cant
find the download for the SDK it, does anyone know where it is ? ( I did
find one reference, but it said the page was not available so Im not sure if
things have changed or if it has moved etc etc )

I have searched google and ms, maybe I am blind ???

Cheers - Mr N

Rob Meade

Yes, this link is unavailable. I already tried it.

Ahh, sorry, I only clicked on the link for that page, I didn't then test the
download too - my apologies...

I could probably download it from my MSDN and make it available for you if
you are still having problems finding it?

Let me know..

Rob

Juan T. Llibre

I'd really be wary about facilitating anything at MSDN Subscriber
Downloads to a non-subscriber, especially after publicly saying you could.

That could land you in legal trouble.

In any case, the Passport SDK there is dated 1999-10-28,
and cannot be the latest Passport SDK ( 2.5 ).

Mr Newbie

I agree with you regarding the non-subscriber stuff as I would not want
anyone to get in any trouble on my behalf.

What I would like to know is if they now only allow this as part of the MSDN
subscription or if the page is just screwed up!

I did write to them but go no reply as yet.

Thanks for all your help and offers thereof.

Cheers Mr N.

Rob Meade

I'd really be wary about facilitating anything at MSDN Subscriber
Downloads to a non-subscriber, especially after publicly saying you could.
That could land you in legal trouble.

I assumed that as it was publically available to download anyway, that the
version in the subscriptions area would be the same version, and therefore
it would not matter if I was to offer it to Mr Newbie. If it was something
like Office then obviously I'd not have offered....just trying to help a guy
out...

My apologies for any toes I'd trodden on.... :eek:/
In any case, the Passport SDK there is dated 1999-10-28,
and cannot be the latest Passport SDK ( 2.5 ).

I didn't realise that, just remember seeing it there the other week when I
was flicking through the content...

Regards

Rob

Juan T. Llibre

re:
I assumed that as it was publically available to download anyway

Not any more it isn't.
They must have had a reason to withdraw it.

Remember that there's a stiff fee for using Passport authentication,
and that they're apparently revamping the whole process.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Passport 3.0 soon.

Mr Newbie

They keep doing this, and it's really annoying.

It makes learning more difficult, an MSDN subscription does not come cheap,
so come on Microsoft, lend a thought to all the poor hopefuls out there like
me who only want to learn a bit about your software and services.

Mr Newbie . . .

PS : I wonder if Bill had to pay for every bit of software he ever needed
when he was working in that garage back in the early days trying to make a
go of it ??

Rob Meade

PS : I wonder if Bill had to pay for every bit of software he ever needed
when he was working in that garage back in the early days trying to make a
go of it ??

I doubt it, but I bet he had one of those "Eureka" moments in the bath, but
instead said "CAL" - hehe :eek:)

I guess you dont get rich by sharing...

Rob

Mr Newbie

You're probably right. It must have been an inspirational time though. If
you think about how huge the industry is now and how difficult it is to make
the smallest of impressions.

Living and working in what was then a relatively a niche market, must have
been truly exciting. I bet he used to see the future unfolding for him in a
truly incredible story, which in his case, came true.

Hat's off to Bill for changing the world.

Regards Mr Newbie . . .