Modern smalltalk and lisp learning environments

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by John Knight, Aug 3, 2005.

  1. John Knight

    John Knight Guest

    ------=_Part_345_15366044.1123103166170

    While reading through 99 messages in a thread about "Rails as a=20
    first language", I noticed several wistful references to smalltalk and
    lisp.

    I put this note at the end of the thread but I guess people had stopped=20
    reading
    the thread so here is my note at the head of its own thread.

    I am a ruby enthusiast. But I cannot let go of both lisp and smalltalk.

    The good news is that really good books and working environments have=20
    recently become available for both languages.

    For smalltalk see:
    http://smallwiki.unibe.ch/botsinc/

    This book uses a modified squeak environment.

    For lisp see:
    http://www.gigamonkeys.com/book/

    Examples use LispInaBox and introduce 'slime' in emacs.

    My guess is that people who read 100 messages in this thread will be=20
    interested in marketing FOSS.
    My friend, Mo, has just published a killer marketing book targeted to busy=
    =20
    people who could benefit from free open source software. Mo presents many=
    =20
    scenarios depicting how FOSS is very useful. Unfortunately, he is not a=20
    programmer and has no scenarios based on ruby or rails. Check the book out=
    =20
    and if you think it is headed in the right direction send Mo or me some=20
    scenarios.

    http://freedomsoftware.info/

    John

    ------=_Part_345_15366044.1123103166170--

    John Knight, Aug 3, 2005

  2. John Knight

    BearItAll Guest

    I could never go for the smalltalk route for much the same reason that I
    didn't take well to Pascal, just too much typing.

    C was much easier on the finger muscles.

    BearItAll, Aug 4, 2005

  3. Hello BearItAll,

    B> I could never go for the smalltalk route for much the same reason that I
    B> didn't take well to Pascal, just too much typing.

    B> C was much easier on the finger muscles.

    Oh i love class names like "ARACHNO_XML_TO_INTERNAL_PROJECT_PARSER"
    i'm using them all the time. Saving a few keystrokes is the root of
    all evil.

    Lothar Scholz, Aug 4, 2005
  4. John Knight

    Chris Game Guest

    Well that's Lisp and Smalltalk, but how long before the same is true
    for Ruby?

    Chris Game, Aug 4, 2005
  5. John Knight

    Phil Tomson Guest

    But often key in staving off carpal tunnel...

    Phil

    Phil Tomson, Aug 4, 2005
  6. That's why you should use some form of auto completion :)

    Vincent Foley, Aug 4, 2005