More problems with IDE and documentation

Lloyd Sheen

I have been adding client code manually but upon reading some of the docs I
notice that I should be able to create the stub for events in client script
using the IDE menus.

Now this would save time (something an IDE is supposed to do), but like way
too many things in the VS 2003 IDE it will not work. I followed the
instructions
(ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2004JAN.1033/vsintro7/html/csconCreatingS
criptsInHTMLEditor.htm)
but the menu item "View Client Script" is disabled. Well on to the next
paragraph.

It states that the code for a newly added button looks like (see above).
Well the code is different and any attempt to follow the instructions is met
with defeat. PLEASE MS, fix the IDE. The constant barrage of wait until
the next release is getting stale.

I have the page using JScript as client but those instructions still do not
work.

Lloyd Sheen

Chris R. Timmons

in
I have been adding client code manually but upon reading some of
the docs I notice that I should be able to create the stub for
events in client script using the IDE menus.

Now this would save time (something an IDE is supposed to do),
but like way too many things in the VS 2003 IDE it will not
work. I followed the instructions
(ms-help://MS.VSCC.2003/MS.MSDNQTR.2004JAN.1033/vsintro7/html/csc
onCreatingS criptsInHTMLEditor.htm)
but the menu item "View Client Script" is disabled.

Lloyd,

Are you editing an .aspx page, or an .html page? Note that VS.NET
uses a different designer for each type of page. The "Web Forms
Designer" is for .aspx pages, and the "HTML Editor" is for .htm and
..html pages. The "View Client Script" option is only available when
editing pages that end in .htm or .html.

Chris.

Lloyd Sheen

Thanks that is the problem. I cannot believe the differences though. What
is an ASPX page but HTML with embedded ASP tags. The ability to do (or
rather the inability) seems like there is no code reuse at MS. Oh well
maybe in VS 2010.

Lloyd

Lloyd Sheen

Cannot be since there is no notion of HTML in VS6. And I had filtered to
only use VS 2003.
See other response, it seems that VS2003 does not understand that ASP pages
can have client code.

Lloyd

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Not really. See Visual InterDev.