More than one main()

Default User

Alf said:
* red floyd:

I'm not sure but I think motzarella has a port 80 (HTTP-port) NNTP
server.

Generally, I would not urge people to try to circumvent company
policies in this area.

Brian

Alf P. Steinbach

* Default User:
Generally, I would not urge people to try to circumvent company
policies in this area.

Good for you. :)

But generally you're mistaken that every company whose firewall blocks port 119
has a policy to not use newsgroups at work.

From own experience my impression is that they simply don't know about
newsgroups, and that the firewall blocks other ports than HTTP by default to
avoid P2P filesharing, gaming and such. If access to Google Groups is OK by
company policy, then using a technical solution to do the same with less spam
can't be wrong. Another solution might be to use one of the WWW discussion
boards that carry technical Usenet groups.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf

Alf said:
* Default User:

Good for you. :)

But generally you're mistaken that every company whose firewall
blocks port 119 has a policy to not use newsgroups at work.

The problem is, the way one often finds out that they do care is when
you're walking out to your car with a box of personal items.

Brian

Alf P. Steinbach

* Default User:
The problem is, the way one often finds out that they do care is when
you're walking out to your car with a box of personal items.

If there is some prohibition against using newsgroups, then you'll know about it.

Anyway, if you're afraid that there might be, and you're afraid to be fired for
accessing newsgroups, then the easiest short term solution is to simply ask your
manager about using such resources, perhaps start with Google Groups.

In the long term, working for a firm that would fire you for using newsgroup
resources, it would probably be a good idea to look for some other job (all
assuming you're talking hypothetically and not something that happened).

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf