Most Basic Question Ever - please help

seanm.py

I am going to try posting here again with more detail to see if I can
finally get my first program to work.

I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11. I opened a new window
in IDLE to create a file. The file had only one line of code and was
saved as module1.py. I saved it to Macintosh HD. The one line of code
in the file is copied below:

print 'Hello module world!'

I closed the file and tried to run it in IDLE and Terminal, but I have
had no success. I'll paste my commands and the error messages below
(for IDLE, then Terminal). Any help would be very much appreciated. I
feel like the marathon just started and I've fallen flat on my face.
Thanks.

IDLE 2.6.2SyntaxError: invalid syntax

sean-m-computer:~ seanm$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information. File "<stdin>", line 1
python module1.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Dave Angel

I am going to try posting here again with more detail to see if I can
finally get my first program to work.

I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11. I opened a new window
in IDLE to create a file. The file had only one line of code and was
saved as module1.py. I saved it to Macintosh HD. The one line of code
in the file is copied below:

print 'Hello module world!'

I closed the file and tried to run it in IDLE and Terminal, but I have
had no success. I'll paste my commands and the error messages below
(for IDLE, then Terminal). Any help would be very much appreciated. I
feel like the marathon just started and I've fallen flat on my face.
Thanks.

IDLE 2.6.2
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

sean-m-computer:~ seanm$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
File "<stdin>", line 1
python module1.py
^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
In both cases, you're already running python. Why would you expect to
have to run python inside python?

Once you're at a python prompt (in either of your cases), you use the
command "import" to load a module. And you do not put the ".py"
extension on the parameter. Specifically, it should look like this, and
very similar for IDLE.

M:\Programming\Python\sources\temp>c:\ProgFiles\Python26\python.exe
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on
win32

John Machin

I am going to try posting here again with more detail to see if I can
finally get my first program to work.
I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11. I opened a new window
in IDLE to create a file. The file had only one line of code and was
saved as module1.py. I saved it to Macintosh HD. The one line of code
in the file is copied below:
print 'Hello module world!'
I closed the file and tried to run it in IDLE and Terminal, but I have
had no success. I'll paste my commands and the error messages below
(for IDLE, then Terminal). Any help would be very much appreciated. I
feel like the marathon just started and I've fallen flat on my face.
Thanks.
IDLE 2.6.2
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
sean-m-computer:~ seanm$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
python module1.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python module1.py
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

In both cases, you're already running python.  Why would you expect to
have to run python inside python?

Once you're at a python prompt (in either of your cases), you use the
command "import" to load a module.  And you do not put the ".py"
extension on the parameter.  Specifically, it should look like this, and
very similar for IDLE.

M:\Programming\Python\sources\temp>c:\ProgFiles\Python26\python.exe
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on
win32
 >>> import module1
Hello module world!

Dave, importing modules which have side effects like printing is NOT a
good habit to which a beginner should be introduced. He needs to know
how to run a script.

Sean, in Terminal, instead of typing
python
type
python module1.py

and I suggest that you give your script (not module) a more meaningful
name.

HTH,
John

seanm.py

I am going to try posting here again with more detail to see if I can
finally get my first program to work.
I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11. I opened a new window
in IDLE to create a file. The file had only one line of code and was
saved as module1.py. I saved it to Macintosh HD. The one line of code
in the file is copied below:
print 'Hello module world!'
I closed the file and tried to run it in IDLE and Terminal, but I have
had no success. I'll paste my commands and the error messages below
(for IDLE, then Terminal). Any help would be very much appreciated. I
feel like the marathon just started and I've fallen flat on my face.
Thanks.
IDLE 2.6.2
python module1.py
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
sean-m-computer:~ seanm$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information..
python module1.py
  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python module1.py
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax
In both cases, you're already running python.  Why would you expect to
have to run python inside python?
Once you're at a python prompt (in either of your cases), you use the
command "import" to load a module.  And you do not put the ".py"
extension on the parameter.  Specifically, it should look like this, and
very similar for IDLE.
M:\Programming\Python\sources\temp>c:\ProgFiles\Python26\python.exe
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71605, Apr 14 2009, 22:40:02) [MSC v.1500 32 bit
(Intel)] on
win32
 >>> import module1
Hello module world!

Dave, importing modules which have side effects like printing is NOT a
good habit to which a beginner should be introduced. He needs to know
how to run a script.

Sean, in Terminal, instead of typing
    python
type
    python module1.py

and I suggest that you give your script (not module) a more meaningful
name.

HTH,
John

Great. Thank you both very much. I appreciate the help.

CM

I am going to try posting here again with more detail to see if I can
finally get my first program to work.

I am working on a MacBook Pro with OS X 10.4.11. I opened a new window
in IDLE to create a file. The file had only one line of code and was
saved as module1.py. I saved it to Macintosh HD. The one line of code
in the file is copied below:

print 'Hello module world!'

I closed the file and tried to run it in IDLE and Terminal, but I have
had no success. I'll paste my commands and the error messages below
(for IDLE, then Terminal). Any help would be very much appreciated. I
feel like the marathon just started and I've fallen flat on my face.
Thanks.

IDLE 2.6.2>>> python module1.py

SyntaxError: invalid syntax

sean-m-computer:~ seanm$ python
Python 2.6.2 (r262:71600, Apr 16 2009, 09:17:39)
Type "help", "copyright", "credits" or "license" for more information.>>> python module1.py

  File "<stdin>", line 1
    python module1.py
                 ^
SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Sean, also, keep in mind you can use IDLE to run
your scripts. After you have saved a script/program,
there is an option for Run in the menu, and then under
that, Run Module. The output of the script will be
sent to IDLE window indicated as the Python shell.
You can also just test code directly from within
that shell, though for multi-line programs, it is
easier within the composing window.

I suggest you sign up for the Python tutor list:

And you can search through their big archive of
questions and answers here:
http://www.nabble.com/Python---tutor-f2981.html

The tutors there are great and super-helpful, and
will field any level of question but are particularly
good for absolute beginners.

Here is a tutorial on using IDLE:
http://hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu/~dyoo/python/idle_intro/index.html

And here is a very good general programming tutorial online
book, focusing on Python:
http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld/

Good luck!
Che

[...]

Thanks Che! The explaination and links are much appreciated. -Sean