MS-ACCESS DB on a non SQL Server possible ?

A. Webmaster

Hi, I am just wondering about something.

I would like to use some SQL facilities on my site which doesn't have
any SQL Server functionalities.

Can I create a Database with Microsoft-ACCESS and simply copy that DB
onto my site so I could then create the ASP code to access it through a
normal Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection") ?

Aaron Bertrand - MVP

Yes, all that Access from ASP requires is an MDB file and the appropriate
OLEDB driver (JET) ... or ODBC if you like roulette. :)

A. Webmaster

"OLEDB driver (JET) ... or ODBC if you like roulette."

Are these supplied by default on an ASP Server?

Why do you say roulette ? Because it's non-reliable and should be
avoided at all costs ?

Where could I find tutorials for simple DB connection ASP coding using
the OLEDB JET ?

A. Webmaster

I guess before going any further, I should explain what I need and then
you could help me decide with road to take.

I have one personnal site residing on an ASP server which right now
doesn't have an SQL at all because it is a SUN server. It will be
migradted to a MS-2000 server which will use SQL but don't know when. I
want to use simple DB to keep track of visitors/download counters in
ASP.

I also have at the office an idea on developing some tools to track
Onlines ups/downs using a simple database. This is just a preliminary. I
have no idea if it will be accepted and if I'll have an SQL server nor
an ASP server.

For both cases, what should I use for DB software in ASP ?

CJM

A. Webmaster said:
"OLEDB driver (JET) ... or ODBC if you like roulette."

Are these supplied by default on an ASP Server?
Check with your hosting company, but I would guess that if they are offering
you ASP, they are also likely to be offering you DSN-less Access DB
connections for free also.
Why do you say roulette ? Because it's non-reliable and should be
avoided at all costs ?
I wouldnt go that far... but OLEDB is seen to be more effecient and stable
than ODBC.
Where could I find tutorials for simple DB connection ASP coding using
the OLEDB JET ?
See Aaron's link.

Chris

John Blessing

Also, you will need to have the mdb in a location where the anonymous user
has appropriate permisssions. Quite often this is a folder located above
your web root folder so that it is not directly accessible from a url. Talk
to your web host.

--
John Blessing

businesses
http://www.free-helpdesk.com - Completely free help desk software !

A. Webmaster

I guess before going any further, I should explain what I need and then
you could help me decide with road to take.

I have one personnal site residing on an ASP server which right now
doesn't have an SQL at all because it is a SUN server. It will be
migradted to a MS-2000 server which will use SQL but don't know when. I
want to use simple DB to keep track of visitors/download counters in
ASP.

I also have at the office an idea on developing some tools to track
Onlines ups/downs using a simple database. This is just a preliminary. I
have no idea if it will be accepted and if I'll have an SQL server nor
an ASP server.

For both cases, what should I use for DB software in ASP ?

Jeff Cochran

I guess before going any further, I should explain what I need and then
you could help me decide with road to take.

I have one personnal site residing on an ASP server which right now
doesn't have an SQL at all because it is a SUN server. It will be
migradted to a MS-2000 server which will use SQL but don't know when. I
want to use simple DB to keep track of visitors/download counters in
ASP.

I also have at the office an idea on developing some tools to track
Onlines ups/downs using a simple database. This is just a preliminary. I
have no idea if it will be accepted and if I'll have an SQL server nor
an ASP server.

For both cases, what should I use for DB software in ASP ?

For both cases - Whatever the heck you want. Access works, MS SQL
works, MySQL works, MSDE works, Oracle works, DB2 works, Postgres SQL
works...

You keep asking the question, and it keeps getting answered. No
amount of explaining what you want to do will change the answer, ASP
and an Access database work fine. As do many other databases.

The problem is you haven't got a base knowledge of what you're asking,
you need to just try a few test setups to get the idea of what will
work for you. Why not start here:

http://www.webwizguide.info/asp/tutorials/connecting_to_a_database.asp
http://www.tutorial-web.com/asp/database/
http://www.vallin.com/pub/1/asp1.asp
http://www.aspin.com/home/tutorial/database

Or even better:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=asp+access+database+tutorial

Jeff

Roland Hall

:
: Also, you will need to have the mdb in a location where the anonymous user
: has appropriate permisssions. Quite often this is a folder located above
: your web root folder so that it is not directly accessible from a url.
Talk
: to your web host.

To add, those would be 'change' or 'modify' rights.

--
Roland Hall
or fitness for a particular purpose. */