Multiple Apps on Server Not Working

DJT

I have 2 applications that are configured to work with ASP.NET (ie.
app1.domain.com and app2.domain.com). App1 has been working (with
infrequent aspnet_wp recycling) for quite awhile. Recently, I added app2
and now neither works properly. Whichever application is started first, the
other application cannot be started. The error states that it cannot find
the application or I'll get a Server Application Unavailable error. I must
restart IIS to allow this second application to be started. Once the second
app has been started, you can no longer navigate within the first without
one of the preceding error messages appearing. I can switch between making
App1 or App2 work all the time by stopping the other site in IIS. It is as
if they are trying to overwrite the session and/or authentication
information.

The web.config authentication section is:
APP1:
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="App1" loginUrl="MainLogin.aspx" timeout="20"/>
</authentication>
APP2:
<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name="App2" loginUrl="Login.aspx" timeout="20"/>
</authentication>
Both applications use Out Proc for sessions.
<sessionState mode="StateServer"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424" cookieless="false"
timeout="20"/>

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

DJT

Natty Gur

Hi,

It’s really interesting. I'm running about 35 applications on the same
machine without any problems. I suspect that there is something wrong in
your application due to the fact that they cause aspnet_wp recycling. If
you try it with two simple web application do you still get that
behavior?

Natty Gur[MVP]

blog : http://weblogs.asp.net/ngur
Mobile: +972-(0)58-888377

DJT

I realize that there is most likely a problem with the application with
regard to the multiple application. However, the recycling occurs at rare
but completely random times throughout the application. Therefore, a page
that always works suddenly creates a Server Application Unavailable and then
works again moments later. The randomness of the occurrences lead me to
believe that the problem has more to do with the memory leak in the
aspnet_wp process than a problem with the application. If you disagree,
than please let me know what else could be causing this.

The multiple application problem is clearly an oversight somewhere in my
code. Possibly for sessions and/or authentication. That is why I posted
this code originally.

DJT

Natty Gur

Well the memory problems of 1.0 (solved in 1.1, we switch to 1.1 a week
ago) just cause us performance issues. all recycaling problems that we
have eventually caused by code.