State Server not working

Jeff User

Hi
Sorry if this post appears twice, but it is not appearing in my news
reader.

We have an application that uses sessionState set up in Web.config is
setup as follows:
<sessionState mode="StateServer"
stateConnectionString="tcpip=127.0.0.1:42424"
cookieless="false" timeout="900"/>

When running in debug, the app works on other machines,
but on a new Toshiba development machine that was just setup
I am getting the error "Unable to make the session state request to
the session state server. Please ensure that the ASP.NET State service
is started and that the client and server ports are the
same.....HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\aspnet_state\Parameters\AllowRemoteConnection".

If setting a breakpoint and stepping through app to try to catch this
error, sometimes it does not happen. Timing/timeout related?

We are using C# in VS 2003 on Win XP, .NET 1.1, NTFS file system. This
machine is running IIS V5.1. All of these tools are on one machine.
The only thing remote is a SQL Server database server that the app
connects to for data.
- The ASP State service is running.
- I checked the registry entry anyway and AllowRemoteConnection is set
to 0.(as it was on other machine)
Tryed setting it to 1, but no difference.
- The Port value (in registry) is 42424 , the same as the web.config
entry.
- I added ASPNET to administrators group.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks
jeff

Guest

The State Server service is designed to run on one machine on the network,
and any other machines running your Web app need to have that machine's IP
address in their web.config. I know that sounds pretty basic, but it can be
overlooked.
Also, you need to ensure that the service is actually running on the target
machine.
Peter

Jeff User

Thanks Peter

If these machines are not connecting to any domain, isn't my localhost
always 127.0.0.1? It seems to me it is, regardless of what machine I
develop on, as typing this IP into browser yields the local web.
Perhaps I was not too clear in my description of problem. This problem
is on my dev machine. The app is not running anywhere else.

Also, The Services mmc shows the ASP.NET State Service is running. Is
there any other way to verify it is running?
I tryed to stop it and re-start it. Same stuff.

Thanks

Jeff

Guest

Thanks Peter

Although the State Service is running on the same machine that I am
devloping this vs app on, I did change the IP reference for the state service
in the web.config to that of this machine. I am still getting the same error.

Jeff