Multiple repeaters and viewstate

garethdjames

Please can some on offer some practicle advice,

I am designing a page that displays details about a product, the page
will be navigated from a datagrid (this bit no problem),

The details page will show details about the product (I'm going to
databind a usercontrol),

The page also has four repeaters that show further details about the
product, three of the repeaters need to be paged and one does not.

First thought is to let viewstate handle most of this and simply
respond to page commands and rebind the appropriate repeater.

Question is, will there be too much data in the viewstate? will it be
best to rebind everything?

Karl Seguin

(a) it's situational...do it and check how big the viewstate is...maybe it
won't be as big as you think...maybe this is for an intranet and your
tolerance is higher

But viewstate does tend to get large when left unchecked. Repeaters don't
have built-in paging, so I'm not sure i see how you could "let viewstate
handle of this" ?? One way or another, you'll need to response to page
command (goto page 3 for repeater X) and bind the new data, which to me
suggest you'll be able to turn viewstate off.

Karl