Mutiple JVM in Single Os

Senthil

Hi All,
Is there anybody who knows advantages and disadvantages of using
Multiple JVM in
Single OS. Actually we trigger a java program which will execute
normally and based on
some condition these will call a java program which will shell script
to execute some
other java program in seperate JVM. Will it Bad?? and disadvantage of
using like this.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Senthil said:
Is there anybody who knows advantages and disadvantages of using
Multiple JVM in
Single OS. Actually we trigger a java program which will execute
normally and based on
some condition these will call a java program which will shell script
to execute some
other java program in seperate JVM. Will it Bad?? and disadvantage of
using like this.

There must be hundreds of thousands maybe millions of computers
out there running more than one JVM instance.

Whether it is a good solution or not is not possible to
say without more details.

Arne

Daniel Pitts

Hi All,
Is there anybody who knows advantages and disadvantages of using
Multiple JVM in
Single OS. Actually we trigger a java program which will execute
normally and based on
some condition these will call a java program which will shell script
to execute some
other java program in seperate JVM. Will it Bad?? and disadvantage of
using like this.

There is overhead associated with each JVM instance, including
initialization time and memory footprint.
If your approach is the easiest/cleanest way to do this, then I say
stick with it until you run into problems.

If you do run into problems, consider invoking the Java applications
from within your originating Java application. Or, consider writting
some of the functions of the other programs as services rather than
stand-alone applications.

Senthil

There must be hundreds of thousands maybe millions of computers
out there running more than one JVM instance.

Whether it is a good solution or not is not possible to
say without more details.

Arne

Hi Arne,

My problem , we a running a Flux engine(scheduler) which will invoke
batch jobs, unfortunately some of the
batch jobs are killing the Flux(entire JVM: hot spot error). To
provide a solution for that i went for seperate
JVM so that if any kill operation is there, it will kill that JVM and
it won't affect other process.

Chris Uppal

Senthil said:
My problem , we a running a Flux engine(scheduler) which will invoke
batch jobs, unfortunately some of the
batch jobs are killing the Flux(entire JVM: hot spot error). To
provide a solution for that i went for seperate
JVM so that if any kill operation is there, it will kill that JVM and
it won't affect other process.

Then you have no choice but to run separate JVMs. The decision is made for
you -- you need the protection of running is separate processes no matter what
the implications for performance and memory use.

It's quite possible that either of those could be a problem. If so then you
could take a bybrid approach and use just two JVM processes (communicating via
TCP or some such). One is the master and it hands out tasks to do (but does
little else); the other is the slave, and it does all the hard work. Whenever
the slave dies, the master just starts up a new slave. More complicated, but
it avoids (normally) the startup overhead, and will probably be significantly
less of a memory hog, if you have several slave tasks all sharing the same JVM
than having them running in separate processes.

-- chris