mvwres in custom control

Chuck P

I have a couple controls that inherits from webcontrol.

When I drop one of the controls on a new webpage
I get

<link href="mvwres:2-Util.Ctrl.MyEmbeddedFile.css,Util, Version=1.0.0.0,
Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" />

in the head.

I am not sure why the other controls the same thing doesn't happen.

What causes the creation of the mvwres?
What would happen if this page used a master page (i.e. no head section)?

thanks,

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

I have no past experience on this mvwres stuff, I also searched internally
and didn't find much information on this. Would you please tell me how to
reproduce this issue on my side? After I reproduced it, I will consult
within our internal discussion list to see if anyone can explain more about
it. Thanks.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

Thanks for the information.

I will consult this in our internal discussion list and get back to you
later.

Regards,
Microsoft Online Community Support

Walter Wang [MSFT]

Hi Chuck,

Sorry for delayed reply.

I'm including the reply from ASP.NET team about this mvwres custom protcol
here:

<quote>
ASP.NET doesn't use the custom protocol. Only Visual Studio and other
designer tools use it. There is an interface,
System.Web.UI.IResourceUrlGenerator that is used when a control wants to
create a URL to an embedded WebResource. At runtime the ASP.NET URL
generator creates links in the form
~/Site/WebResource.axd?d=<data>&t=<timestamp>. At design time the tool's
(Visual Studio) URL generator creates links in whatever format it wants. In
the specific case of VS it uses a custom protocol handler called "mvwres"
with a custom URL format to generate those URLs.

Whether at runtime or design time, the URLs are used to locate and load the
specified resource, whether it's a JS files, CSS file, HTML, GIF, etc.
Without the custom mvwres protocol the resources wouldn't be able to load
at design time.
</quote>

Hope this helps.