MySQL Insert

maestroQC

Hi,

Its one of those days. I cannot solve this. Any help would be greatly
appreciated!
When I execute this:

class Db(object):
def insertAccount(self, date, accountNumber, description,
openingBalance):
dec = decimal.Decimal(openingBalance)
db = MySQLdb.connect(host="localhost", user="dumb",
passwd="dumber", db="rdc")
cursor = db.cursor()
cursor.execute("INSERT INTO es_accounts (dateCreated,
accountNumber, description, openingBalance) VALUES (%s, %s, %s, %d)",
(date, accountNumber, description, dec))

I get this error:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "main.py", line 59, in <module>
main()
File "main.py", line 40, in main
dbObj.insertAccount(dateTo, item[0], item[1], item[8])
File "C:\projects\workspace\INYR_ES_0.1\src\db.py", line 19, in
insertAccount
cursor.execute("INSERT INTO es_accounts (dateCreated,
accountNumber, description, openingBalance) VALUES (%s, %s, %s
, %d)", (date, accountNumber, description, dec))
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\MySQLdb\cursors.py", line 151,
in execute
query = query % db.literal(args)
TypeError: int argument required

My table is defined as:
CREATE TABLE es_accounts (
id int(6) not null auto_increment,
dateCreated date DEFAULT '0000-00-00',
accountNumber int(6) not null,
description varchar(255) not null,
openingBalance decimal(15,8) NOT NULL DEFAULT 0.00000000,
primary key (id)
);

TIA

Carsten Haese

maestroQC said:
cursor.execute("INSERT INTO es_accounts (dateCreated,
accountNumber, description, openingBalance) VALUES (%s, %s, %s
, %d)", (date, accountNumber, description, dec))
File "c:\python25\lib\site-packages\MySQLdb\cursors.py", line 151,
in execute
query = query % db.literal(args)
TypeError: int argument required

The placeholder for query parameters in MySQLdb is always %s, regardless
of the data type the actual value might have.

HTH,

Ethan Furman

maestroQC said:
[...]

The problem is your %d in Values, and then using a Decimal type to feed
it. Depending on the type of your openingBalance field, you may want to
change the %d to %s, or change dec to int(dec), or change the %d to %f
and change dec to float(dec). My experience with the Decimal type is
limited, so there may be other options as well.

~Ethan

Ethan Furman

maestroQC said:
[...]

How embarassing. My previous post is not correct in it's explanation,
unless there is some way to tell Decimal not to allow int coercion...

--> from decimal import Decimal
--> n10_25 = Decimal('10.25')
--> n10_25
Decimal("10.25")
--> "%d" % n10_25
'10'

About the only thing it had even partially right is not using %d, as it
will truncate the fractional part of your opening balance. As far as
why you are getting that error, I now have no idea, and I apologize for
any confusion created by my error.

~Ethan

maestroQC

Thanks for the information.
However I must stick to decimal since I'm dealing with monetary
values.
I loose the decimals with int and float has only supports one decimal
place.

I tried as you suggested to use the %s instead of the %d to no avail.

maestroQC

Thanks to all for your time and patience with this!
The insert is working fine based on the suggestions in this thread.

I now have another problem that should be resolved with a regular
expression to remove currency formatting before inserting into the db.