NamingContainer null during page lifecycle

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by TS, Oct 3, 2008.

  1. TS

    TS Guest

    I am declaratively settting value of custom control in aspx page:
    <ctrl:MaskedEditTextBox ID="mskClient_FullPhone"
    PropertyID="Client_FullPhone" runat="server" ReadOnly="true"
    >929-302-2093</ctrl:MaskedEditTextBox>

    This control has a Text property and in side its setter, i am calling ensure
    childControls, which creates my child controls in which one of them tries to
    access NamingContainer but it and many other properties inherited from
    Control are all throwing null exceptions

    When in life cycle is it OK to access this?

    What options do i have when declaratively setting values like this?

    thanks!!!

    TS, Oct 3, 2008

  2. TS

    Teemu Keiski Guest

    Hi,

    basically Load event is when page and controls should've been loaded. If you
    expect postback loading to happen also before, then it would be
    LoadComplete.

    --
    Teemu Keiski
    ASP.NET MVP, AspInsider