From: "Harry Ohlsen" <[email protected]>
To: "ruby-talk ML" <[email protected]>
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 10:05 PM
Subject: NASA using Ruby?

I noticed a reference in the intro blurb for Dave Thomas's talk at OSCON
to NASA doing numerical simulations using Ruby.
However, a number of quick googles have failed to find any mention of it.
I expected that it might be in the Real World Ruby section of RubyGarden,
but it's not there, either.
Does anyone have any further information, or a URL?

IIRC, Bil Kleb was using Ruby to help
investigate the Columbia disaster. That's all
I know about.

It caught the attention of David Alan Black and
me because he was using scanf. :)

And David's comment was, "Well, at least scanf
didn't CAUSE the disaster..."

Hal

Jim Freeze

to NASA doing numerical simulations using Ruby.
I expected that it might be in the Real World Ruby section of RubyGarden,
but it's not there, either.

IIRC, Bil Kleb was using Ruby to help
investigate the Columbia disaster. That's all
I know about.

It caught the attention of David Alan Black and
me because he was using scanf. :)

And David's comment was, "Well, at least scanf
didn't CAUSE the disaster..."

I don't know. Was there any foam used in the construction
of scanf?

why the lucky stiff

There should be a group at NASA that makes sure to inform each open source
project that is sent into orbit. :)

I'm told that XML actually originated in space (despite what you may say about
it's SGML origins.) Yeah, it was an alien disease that came down in the
jacket of a cosmonaut. It started as a swarm of hovering ping pong balls and
later formed the noxious mist that we all breathe nowadays.

Okay, that was mean. I won't do it again.

_why

Rasputin

* Lyle Johnson said:
If it is true that XML is a kind of disease, would you go so far as to
say that it is "viral"? If so, isn't it like the GPL?

rofl
Are you the sort of guy who glues pork chops to his car when he
drives through Safari parks?

why the lucky stiff

If it is true that XML is a kind of disease, would you go so far as to
say that it is "viral"? If so, isn't it like the GPL?

Well, I would go _that_ far, Lyle. But I am considering GPLing a strain of
barley yellow dwarf virus that can be encoded into XML and injected into
wheat. Sure, the plant dies, but the aphids will get a good taste of markup.
This will be a very advantageous to those of us who are willing to employ
aphids, but find that they often lack the experience.

_why

Hal E. Fulton