need to start a new project , can python do all that ?

Deep_Feelings

I want to start programming a new program (electronic health care
center) in python and before start learning python i wanna make sure
that python does have all the features i need to accomplish this
project so i wanna ask you does python able to support these
features :

1- cross platform (windows + linux)
2- mysql database access
3- 2D graphs (curves)
4- support of international languages
5- can access a scanner and input pictures from it.

and possibly be able to import data from labratory machines (such as
CBC machines) to automatically register patient investigations result
into the system (not mandatory)

so can python (with any freely available libraries) do all that and
still be cross platform ?

thankx in advance :)

Brendon Wickham

Python is a programming language, and like practically any programming
language it can do all those things. I'm not sure your requirements
are based on a full understanding of the implications. A "health care
center' cannot be made with a few "drag and drop", "plug and play"
modules that you manipulate within a GUI.

For example, importing pathology results: there is no international
standard for how such results should be formed. You will need to ask
the suppliers of the results to work out how they're going to give it
to you. And they will all be different. You will most likely need a
firm understanding of HL7 v2 and 3, XML, XSL (and probably web
services) etc.

In terms of cross platform, in the health context it's pointless being
anything other than a web application (IMHO).

Cheers,

Brendon

Chris Rebert

I want to start programming a new program (electronic health care
center) in python and before start learning python i wanna make sure
that python does have all the features i need to accomplish this
project so i wanna ask you does python able to support these
features :

1- cross platform (windows + linux)
Yes, Python is cross-platform. Did you glance at python.org ?
2- mysql database access http://mysql-python.sourceforge.net/

3- 2D graphs (curves) http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/

4- support of international languages
Yes, it supports Unicode.
5- can access a scanner and input pictures from it.
I was unable to locate anything, but some GUI library might have bindings.
and possibly be able to import data from labratory machines (such as
CBC machines) to automatically register patient investigations result
into the system (not mandatory)
Way too vague for me to google for.

Cheers,
Chris

Krishnakant

I want to start programming a new program (electronic health care
center) in python and before start learning python i wanna make sure
that python does have all the features i need to accomplish this
project so i wanna ask you does python able to support these
features :
Python of course fits such projects and due to the fact that it is fast
and zippi, it becomes the bes choice.
1- cross platform (windows + linux) Very much.
2- mysql database access
The python-mysql module complies with the python db api and talks to
mysql.
As a side note, postgresql is a really scalable, robust and powerful
database and python has a very matured library for talking to it as
well.
3- 2D graphs (curves) Possible with many libraries.
4- support of international languages
5- can access a scanner and input pictures from it.
Internationalisation is there in almost every language these days and
python is no exception.

happy hacking.
Krishnakant.

Tim Rowe

2009/4/15 Deep_Feelings said:
I want to start programming a new program (electronic health care
center) in python and before start learning python i wanna make sure
that python does have all the features i need to accomplish this
project so i wanna ask you does python able to support these
features :

1- cross platform (windows + linux)
2- mysql database access
3- 2D graphs (curves)
4- support of international languages
5- can access a scanner and input pictures from it.

and possibly be able to import data from labratory machines (such as
CBC machines) to automatically register patient investigations result
into the system (not mandatory)

What are the safety and security requirements? If you're handling
patient investigation results then there are certainly security issues
because of patient confidentiality, and there may be safety issues
(could a software fault contribute to a patient receiving incorrect
treatment, or failing to receive necessary treatment?)

You almost certainly need to contact the appropriate regulatory
authority to check whether they have any requirements for languages in
such applications (and for specific development processes), or you
could find yourself either with an application you can't use or a very
big lawsuit and possibly jail if it goes wrong.

Deep_Feelings

What are the safety and security requirements? If you're handling
patient investigation results then there are certainly security issues
because of patient confidentiality, and there may be safety issues
(could a software fault contribute to a patient receiving incorrect
treatment, or failing to receive necessary treatment?)

You almost certainly need to contact the appropriate regulatory
authority to check whether they have any requirements for languages in
such applications (and for specific development processes), or you
could find yourself either with an application you can't use or a very
big lawsuit and possibly jail if it goes wrong.

thank you so much ,rest assured that the code will me tested very well
(in real world situation) before using it.

Deep_Feelings

now going into python i found that python 3 is just out but recourses
are limited (including IDEs) any help on that ?

Stef Mientki

there's even already written an EPD in Python,
but I can't find it right now,
googling is difficult,
because EPD stand for the more popular Ebthought Python Distro :-(

cheers,
Stef

Deep_Feelings

That's not sufficient.  It isn't enough that your program works, it also
has to satisfy the regulatory authorities otherwise (depending on what
country you're in) you could end up on the wrong end of some very
expensive law-suits without actually having done anything wrong.  Check
first.

that is true , thank you

Hyuga

thank you so much ,rest assured that the code will me tested very well
(in real world situation) before using it.

I'm not too assured... What are the actual requirements for this
software? Is this intended for real world use in health care? I'm
not too comfortable with a single individual with apparently limited
experience in Python developing something like that. Not that it's
any of my business...or for all I know it may be! You might as well
have started this post "I want to start programming a new program (air
traffic control system) in python and before start learning python..."

Tim Rowe

2009/4/17 Hyuga said:
I'm not too assured... What are the actual requirements for this
software?  Is this intended for real world use in health care?  I'm
not too comfortable with a single individual with apparently limited
experience in Python developing something like that.

And limited experience in safety-related systems, if he thinks safety
can be tested in, after the event.

But of course it might be that the proposed system has gone through a
proper safety analysis, and it /might/ have been determined that there
are no safety or security risks with it, in which case there would be
no reason for him not to cut his Python teeth (fangs?) on it.

Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven

-On [20090415 14:25] said:
4- support of international languages

http://babel.edgewall.org/

イェルーン ラウフロック ヴァン デル ウェルヴェン
Hope is a letter that never arrives, delivered by the postman of my
fear...