nested anchors

mlv2312

Hi,

I have experienced problems when dealing with nested anchors.

I implemented some code to perform highlighting and specific anchors
are used for the searched words. The problem is when the searched words
are inside <a href> tags, the links are lost after putting my anchors.
For example:

<a class="Programa" href="#" OnClick="window.open('/something.tif');"
<a name="LPHit1"/><font style='color:blue;
background-color:yellow;'>SOME</font>TH<a name="LPHit2"/><font
style='color:blue; background-color:yellow;'>ING</font></a>

Anchors 'LPHit' are used to navigate between the searched words inside
the html page. The list of anchors 'LPHitXXX' are recovered by calling
the document.anchors.

I wouldn´t like to change my algorithm too much, so I was wondering
if it is possible to create another kind of tag, for example 'b' and
replace the above as following:

<a class="Programa" href="#" OnClick="window.open('/something.tif');"
<b name="LPHit1"/><font style='color:blue;
background-color:yellow;'>SOME</font>TH<b name="LPHit2"/><font
style='color:blue; background-color:yellow;'>ING</font></a>

And I need to be able to get the list of 'b' anchors 'LPHitXXX', by
calling some custom method: document.banchors;

Is it possible? Or else is there another idea to deal with nested
anchors?

Best regards

Martin Honnen

I have experienced problems when dealing with nested anchors.

No surprise:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/links.html#h-12.2.2

I wouldn´t like to change my algorithm too much, so I was wondering
if it is possible to create another kind of tag, for example 'b' and
replace the above as following:

<a class="Programa" href="#" OnClick="window.open('/something.tif');"

background-color:yellow;'>SOME</font>TH<b name="LPHit2"/><font
style='color:blue; background-color:yellow;'>ING</font></a>

It is usually not a good idea to create tags on your own and use them in
HTML, and b is already defined in HTML
<http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/present/graphics.html#h-15.2.1>
so it has a predefined meaning.
If you want a generic element you can use span then put some class
attribute on it e.g.
You can then script
document.getElementsByTagName('span')
a collection of all <span> elements and check their className property.

mlv2312

Thanks Martin,

your idea worked fine! However I needed to use another tag, 'hidden',
instead of using the 'span' tag. The 'span' tag brought me some
problems and I decided to use another one.

Best regards!