.net client + Axis 1.1 server + wrapped param: null result

Zihong Lu

I have used the following settings in our web services:

.net framework 1.1 web services client
Axis 1.1 server (in wsdd file, set style="wrapped")

Using axis client calls the server, it works fine. However, .net
client always returns null, even though the soap message has the
result, for example, for the simple function

string getSession(string username, string password);

The SOAP messages in the response seems to be normal, as shown in this
request/response message:

====== Request ======
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap:Body>
<getSession xmlns="urn:myname.com">
<username xmlns="">admin</username>
<password xmlns="" />
</getSession>
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

====== Response ======
287
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soapenv:Header>
<ns1:sessionID soapenv:actor="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/actor/next"
soapenv:mustUnderstand="0"
xmlns:ns1="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session">
7413200230928429396
</ns1:sessionID>
</soapenv:Header>
<soapenv:Body>
<getSessionResponse xmlns="urn:myname.com">
<getSessionReturn>7413200230928429396</getSessionReturn>
</getSessionResponse>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>
0

No, I don't know why there is a 287 before <?xml> tag and a 0 at the
end of the response message. This may have something to do with the
response HTTP header

Transfer-Encoding: chunked

in responding to the .net request HTTP header of "Connection:
Keep-Alive".

The session ID in SOAP header doesn't seem matter, since I tested the
call with and without the session ID header. I have serached this
group for almost a day, the closest I have found is this link:

http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

However, it was talking about serializing complex type there. Can
someone plese help?

-Zihong

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

you showed the request and response - I guess that would be a request from
..NET to AXIS and a response from AXIS to .NET.
Can I see the WSDL? or failing that, the client-side proxy generated by
wsdl.exe ??

I am betting it is an xml namespace issue.

-D

Zihong Lu

Dino,

Thank you for looking into this. Yes the request/response messages are
..net->axis (request) and axis->.net(response).

Here is the WSDL that I use (Note that I commented out the
<wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID" use="literal"/>
for getSession(),
because it is another issue that causing .net confused, it does not know
what "xsd:long" is.)
==================================
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<wsdl:definitions targetNamespace="urn:myname.com"
xmlns:apachesoap="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap"
xmlns:impl="urn:myname.com"
xmlns:intf="urn:myname.com"
xmlns:session="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session">

<documentation />

<wsdl:types>

<schema targetNamespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<simpleType name="session">
<restriction base="xsd:long"/>
</simpleType>
<element name="sessionID" type="session:session"/>
</schema>

<schema targetNamespace="urn:myname.com"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<element name="getSession">
<complexType>
<sequence>
<element name="username" type="xsd:string" />
<element name="password" type="xsd:string" />
</sequence>
</complexType>
</element>

<element name="getSessionResponse">
<complexType>
<sequence>
<element name="getSessionReturn" type="xsd:string" />
</sequence>
</complexType>
</element>

<element name="closeSession">
<complexType />
</element>

<element name="closeSessionResponse">
<complexType />
</element>

</schema>
</wsdl:types>

<wsdl:message name="soapHeader">
<wsdl:part name="sessionID" element="session:sessionID" />
</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:message name="getSessionRequest">
<wsdl:part element="impl:getSession" name="parameters" />
</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:message name="getSessionResponse">
<wsdl:part element="impl:getSessionResponse" name="parameters" />
</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:message name="closeSessionRequest">
<wsdl:part element="impl:closeSession" name="parameters" />
</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:message name="closeSessionResponse">
<wsdl:part element="impl:closeSessionResponse" name="parameters" />
</wsdl:message>

<wsdl:portType name="MynameService">

<wsdl:eek:peration name="getSession" parameterOrder="">
<wsdl:input message="impl:getSessionRequest"
name="getSessionRequest" />
<wsdl:eek:utput message="impl:getSessionResponse"
name="getSessionResponse" />
</wsdl:eek:peration>

<wsdl:eek:peration name="closeSession">
<wsdl:input message="impl:closeSessionRequest"
name="closeSessionRequest" />
<wsdl:eek:utput message="impl:closeSessionResponse"
name="closeSessionResponse" />
</wsdl:eek:peration>

</wsdl:portType>

<wsdl:binding name="MynameServiceSoapBinding" type="impl:MynameService">
<wsdlsoap:binding style="document"
transport="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/http" />

<wsdl:eek:peration name="getSession">
<wsdlsoap:eek:peration soapAction="" />
<wsdl:input name="getSessionRequest">
<wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID"
use="literal"/>
<wsdlsoap:body namespace="urn:myname.com" use="literal" />
</wsdl:input>
<wsdl:eek:utput name="getSessionResponse">
<!-- comment it out. There is another bug in .net for this -->
<!-- wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID"
use="literal"/ -->
<wsdlsoap:body namespace="urn:myname.com" use="literal" />
</wsdl:eek:utput>
</wsdl:eek:peration>

<wsdl:eek:peration name="closeSession">
<wsdlsoap:eek:peration soapAction="" />
<wsdl:input name="closeSessionRequest">
<wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID"
use="literal"/>
<wsdlsoap:body namespace="urn:myname.com" use="literal" />
</wsdl:input>
<wsdl:eek:utput name="closeSessionResponse">
<wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID"
use="literal"/>
<wsdlsoap:body namespace="urn:myname.com" use="literal" />
</wsdl:eek:utput>
</wsdl:eek:peration>

</wsdl:binding>

<wsdl:service name="MynameServiceService">
<wsdl:port binding="impl:MynameServiceSoapBinding" name="MynameService">
<wsdlsoap:address
location="http://localhost:8080/services/MynameService" />
</wsdl:port>
</wsdl:service>

</wsdl:definitions>

Generated cs file:
namespace MyNameSpace{
using System.Diagnostics;
using System.Xml.Serialization;
using System;
using System.Web.Services.Protocols;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Web.Services;

/// <remarks/>
[System.Diagnostics.DebuggerStepThroughAttribute()]
[System.ComponentModel.DesignerCategoryAttribute("code")]

[System.Web.Services.WebServiceBindingAttribute(Name="MynameServiceSoapBindi
ng", Namespace="urn:myname.com")]
public class MynameServiceService :
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHttpClientProtocol {

public session sessionID;

/// <remarks/>
public MynameServiceService() {
this.Url = "http://localhost:8080/services/MynameService";
}

/// <remarks/>
[System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeaderAttribute("sessionID")]
[System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
RequestNamespace="urn:myname.com", ResponseNamespace="urn:myname.com",
Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped)]
[return:
System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("getSessionReturn",
Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)]
public string
getSession([System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Sch
ema.XmlSchemaForm.Unqualified)] string username,
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSche
maForm.Unqualified)] string password) {
object[] results = this.Invoke("getSession", new object[] {
username,
password});
return ((string)(results[0]));
}

/// <remarks/>
public System.IAsyncResult BegingetSession(string username, string
password, System.AsyncCallback callback, object asyncState) {
return this.BeginInvoke("getSession", new object[] {
username,
password}, callback, asyncState);
}

/// <remarks/>
public string EndgetSession(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {
object[] results = this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);
return ((string)(results[0]));
}

/// <remarks/>
[System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeaderAttribute("sessionID",
Direction=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeaderDirection.InOut)]
[System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapDocumentMethodAttribute("",
RequestNamespace="urn:myname.com", ResponseNamespace="urn:myname.com",
Use=System.Web.Services.Description.SoapBindingUse.Literal,
ParameterStyle=System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapParameterStyle.Wrapped)]
public void closeSession() {
this.Invoke("closeSession", new object[0]);
}

/// <remarks/>
public System.IAsyncResult BegincloseSession(System.AsyncCallback
callback, object asyncState) {
return this.BeginInvoke("closeSession", new object[0], callback,
asyncState);
}

/// <remarks/>
public void EndcloseSession(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {
this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);

/// <remarks/>

[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="http://xml.apache.org/
axis/session")]
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlRootAttribute("sessionID",
Namespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session", IsNullable=false)]
public class session : System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeader {

/// <remarks/>
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTextAttribute()]
public string[] Text;

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

Yes, A namespace problem .
To fix this
change the attribute on the getSession() method in the generated client side
proxy to Qualified, from Unqualified

[return: System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute("getSessionReturn",
Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSchemaForm.Qualified)]

Or, you can modify the WSDL to accurately reflect what AXIS is sending back:

<element name="getSessionReturn" type="xsd:string" form="qualified" />

and then regenerate the client proxy.

AXIS is a bit loose with its elementforms (qualified vs unqualified). The
WSDL doesn't specify it, yet the behavior for the request and response is
different.
-D

Dino Chiesa said:
you showed the request and response - I guess that would be a request from
.NET to AXIS and a response from AXIS to .NET.
Can I see the WSDL? or failing that, the client-side proxy generated by
wsdl.exe ??

I am betting it is an xml namespace issue.

-D
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Zihong Lu

Dino,

Thanks. That works.

Now I have a second issue: the soap header. As you can see from my eariler
wsdl file, if I do the following:
(1) changed the line to <element name="getSessionReturn" type="xsd:string"
form="qualified"/>, to solve the null result problem;
(2) uncommented out the line to indicate the soap header in the return
message:
<wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID" use="literal"
/>

When invoke the getSession() call, the .net client complained:

System.InvalidOperationException: The specified type was not recognized:
name='long',
namespace='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema', at <sessionID
xmlns='http://xml.apache.org/axis/session'>.

at
Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read1_
session(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at
Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read8_
OutHeaders()

Do I need to create serializer/deserializer for the SOAP header? I thought
the created proxy code already recognize it and can serialize it
automatically, like gSoap does.

Here is the new generated client proxy:
============================

Dino Chiesa said:
[...]

<soapenv:Envelope
[...]

If I modify your WSDL to type the session ID this way:

<element name="sessionID" type="sess:session"/>

<complexType name="session">
<sequence>
<element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="s" type="xsd:long"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>

it works, and generates a header class like so:

public class session : System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeader {
/// <remarks/>
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute()]
public long s;
}

I think the problem is, in .NET the soapheader must derive from
System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeader . In other words it is a
complexType. In your WSDL you have it as a simpleType. Generating a client
proxy from that WSDL results in some confusion. Feels like a bug in the
wsdl.exe compiler.

The simple fix is to change the definition of the header type in XSD to the
above. This generates what you would expect, I think.

But you have to ensure this synchronizes with the AXIS server. If you are
generating the server from the WSDL then it should be no problem .

-Dino

Zihong Lu said:
[...]

I have changed the session declaration in WSDL to what you suggested, as
showing here:

<schema targetNamespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<element name="sessionID" type="sens:session"/>
<complexType name="session">
<sequence>
<element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="id" type="xsd:long"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
</schema>

where namespace "sens" was defined in the <wsdl:definitions> as
xmlns:sens="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session".

Yes, the generated proxy code now has the same session class derived from
SoapHeader, as earlier. However, compared to the code generated from
simpleType declaration in WSDL earlier , the class memeber "id" now has a
data type of long, instead of the earlier string[], and it has a sensible
name "id" that I set, instead of the earlier generated name of "Text" (these
are the only changes in the whole generated client proxy file):

/// <remarks/>
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="http://xml.apache.org/
axis/session")]
[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlRootAttribute("sessionID",
Namespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session", IsNullable=false)]
public class session : System.Web.Services.Protocols.SoapHeader {

/// <remarks/>

[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSche
maForm.Unqualified)]
public long id;
}

I have noticed that the "id" is unqulified, while in the example you showed
the "s" does not have the "Unqualified" attribute.

However, even with this change, I still got the same error of
InvalidOperationException. Since the wsdl file is manually edited, I did
not change Axis server side. For the session handling, I simply use
SimpleSessionHandler handler, a convenient handler that Axis provided.

I have also tested the code with the "Form = ... Unqualified" manually
removed from the generated proxy code, I still got the same error. The eror
message is copied here again for completeness:
=======================================
Unhandled Exception: System.InvalidOperationException: There is an error in
XML
document (4, 4). ---> System.InvalidOperationException: The specified type
was n
ot recognized: name='long', namespace='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema', at
<se
ssionID xmlns='http://xml.apache.org/axis/session'>.
at
Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read
1_session(Boolean isNullable, Boolean checkType)
at
Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read
8_OutHeaders()
=======================================

The returned SOAP message is
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Header>
<ns1:sessionID soapenv:mustUnderstand="0" xsi:type="xsd:long"
xmlns:ns1="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session">-5227012230670020468</ns1:ses
sionID>
</soapenv:Header>

the position (4,4) indicated in the error message is the ns1:sessionID tag.
Does this message looks right to you, compared to what WSDL declared?
Somehow I felt the xsi:type="xsd:long" is not right, since dot/lit style
don't usually have this.

-Zihong

Zihong Lu said:
[...]

yes, I think you are correct. the xsi:type="xsd:long" seems to be
incorrect.

BUT!

We are changing the WSDL here without modifying the server. The WSDL
documents how we would like the service to appear, but if we design the WSDL
independently of the implementation of the service (in AXIS) , then there is
no way of knowing if the two independent things coincide.

It appears that AXIS is using doc/literal for the SOAP body and
soap-section-5 encoded for the SOAP header. Can you check this in the
server/service implementation?

or
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-user&m=104204463001241&w=2

or to search the archive:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=axis-user&w=2&r=1&s=sessionhandler&q=b

The problem is that AXIS's WSDL2Java tool does not handle soapheaders as
defined in WSDL. If you have a WSDL (such as you have constructed here)
that specifies a soapheader to be used in the input message, the output
message, or both, then the Java implementation generated from AXIS'
"wsdl2java --server-side" does not have any support for that header. As a
developer using AXIS, you need to provide a handler to extract the header,
or insert the header, as appropriate.

The "SimpleSessionHandler" code included with AXIS v1.1 shows this. As you
can see, there is some DOM walking you have to do to extract the header and
de-marshal it and validate it and so on. I suppose there is similar work
you have to do to "add" the header to the response.

But even with all this I am not sure why the header would be section-5
encoded when the body is not. In the WSDL model, the soap body can in
fact be a different "use" than the header. In other words the literal or
section-5 encoded is specified on the body independently from the header.
Eg,

Zihong Lu said:
Dino,

Thanks. That works.

Now I have a second issue: the soap header. As you can see from my eariler
wsdl file, if I do the following:
(1) changed the line to <element name="getSessionReturn" type="xsd:string"
form="qualified"/>, to solve the null result problem;
(2) uncommented out the line to indicate the soap header in the return
message:
<wsdlsoap:header message="impl:soapHeader" part="sessionID" use="literal"
/>

When invoke the getSession() call, the .net client complained:

System.InvalidOperationException: The specified type was not recognized:
name='long',
namespace='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema', at <sessionID
xmlns='http://xml.apache.org/axis/session'>.

at
Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read1_Microsoft.Xml.Serialization.GeneratedAssembly.XmlSerializationReader1.Read8_
[...]

Yes I did search the axis-users group for days before I came to asking for
help in this group. For some reason the solution they provide there don't
work for me.

You are right that from axis server side, I need to hand craft the skeleton
codes/settings before I can use the session handler, and I did manage to
overcome the problem on that side.

Back to the issue here. I have been experimenting further, by modifying the
wsdl file namespace. Then, magically, the getSession() function call
succeeded. From that point view, the xsi:type may not be an issue.

But, problems are not finished yet, the subsequent call closeSession() from
the .bet client does not have the sessionID included in the header. This is
the .net->axis request for closeSession() after the getSession() call:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<soap:Body>
<closeSession xmlns="urn:myname.com" />
</soap:Body>
</soap:Envelope>

Any idea?

Here is the modified WSDL:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<wsdl:definitions targetNamespace="urn:myname.com"
xmlns:apachesoap="http://xml.apache.org/xml-soap"
xmlns:impl="urn:myname.com"
xmlns:intf="urn:myname.com"
xmlns:sens="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session">

<wsdl:types>

<schema targetNamespace="urn:myname.com"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">

<element name="sessionID" type="impl:session" />
[...]

<wsdl:part name="sessionID" element="impl:sessionID" />
[...]

====================================

This is the created client proxy:

[...]

getSession([System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementdttribute(Form=System.Xml.Sch
[...]

public System.IAsyncResult BegincloseSession(System.AsyncCallback callback,
object asyncState) {

return this.BeginInvoke("closeSession", new object[0], callback,
asyncState);

}

/// <remarks/>

public void EndcloseSession(System.IAsyncResult asyncResult) {

this.EndInvoke(asyncResult);

/// <remarks/>

[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlTypeAttribute(Namespace="urn:myname.com")]

[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlRootAttribute("sessionID",
Namespace="urn:myname.com", IsNullable=false)]

Dino Chiesa said:
[...]

{
username,
password});
return ((string)(results[0]));
}

[...]

I believe my approach is wrong. Because the element type "sessionID" is
defined in the "impl" namespace, ie, the urn:myname.com namespace, which
means that upon return in getSession() call, the .net client will look for
the sessionID in the urn:myname.com namespace. However, in the return
message, axis sends the header in the http://xml.apache.org/axis/session
namespace, as shown here for axis->.net response to getSession():

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Header>
<ns2:sessionID soapenv:mustUnderstand="0" xsi:type="ns1:long"
xmlns:ns1="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"

xmlns:ns2="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session">-3876663609367995448</ns2:ses
sionID>
</soapenv:Header>
<soapenv:Body>
<getSessionResponse xmlns="urn:myname.com">
<getSessionReturn>-3876663609367995448</getSessionReturn>
</getSessionResponse>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

since .net did not find anything in the urn:myname.com namespace, it simply
ignore the header, hence the getSession() call returned nicely, no error.
However, it did not get the session ID in the header either, hence, no
session ID in the subsequent closeSession() call.

Well, back to the same problem.

-Zihong

Dino Chiesa said:
[...]

has
[...]

why do you not define your session type (in the WSDL) to be in the proper
namespace?

eg

<schema
targetNamespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
elementFormDefault="qualified"<element name="sessionID" type="sess:session"/>

<complexType name="session">
<sequence>
<element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="id" type="xsd:long"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>

</schema>

Does this not work?

Dino Chiesa said:
[...]

a in
the XSD
[...]

I see, you have the elementFormDefault="qualified" in the schema tag. I did
your way, with almost identical <schema> tag for the session ID:

<schema targetNamespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"
elementFormDefault="qualified">
<complexType name="session">
<sequence>
<element minOccurs="1" maxOccurs="1" name="id" type="xsd:long"/>
</sequence>
</complexType>
<element name="sessionID" type="sens:session"/>
</schema>

Now, the getSession() function returns nicely!!! However, the subsequent
call closeSession() does not have the sessionID in the SOAP header, just
like the case where I changed the sessionID namespace to urn:myname.com.
The SOAP message is the same too (see earlier message for detail).

Also, with the simpleType decalration:

<schema targetNamespace="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session"
xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
<simpleType name="session">
<restriction base="xsd:long"/>
</simpleType>
<element name="sessionID" type="sens:session"/>
</schema>

I could use gSoap client talking to the axis server. With the complexType
declaration as we have here, the gSoap client doesn't work any more. I
don't need gSoap client for now, however, it does show that different
platform clients interpret it differently, and gSoap interprets it similar
to Axis.

Note: if no elementFormDefault="qualified", the attribute for " public long
id;" in the session class will be like this:
========================
/// <remarks/>

[System.Xml.Serialization.XmlElementAttribute(Form=System.Xml.Schema.XmlSche
maForm.Unqualified)]
public long id;
========================

It does not help either. The generated proxy with the
elementFormDefault="qualified", looks like this now:
===========================
[...]

=====================================

Dino Chiesa [Microsoft]

I don;t know what the problem is with closeSession(). I don't think I
understand where are, at this point.

You can use a simpleType in the soap header with .NET; but you don't get the
automatic serialization and de-serialization. (as with AXIS, and I presume,
gSOAP).

-D

Zihong Lu said:
[...]

My .net client code looks like this:

long sessionId = service.getSession("admin", "");
service.closeSession();

the closeSession() is defined in the wsdl that I showed earlier, or you can
see from the generated cs code.

For the complexType header, my problem with closeSession() is that after
getSession(), I was hoping that the sessionID in the return SOAP header will
automatically be put in the closeSession() request header, like this:

<SOAP-ENV:Header>
<sessionID
xmlns="http://xml.apache.org/axis/session">5419796753085587324</sessionID>
</SOAP-ENV:Header>

but it did not. Actually, the closeSession() call did not include SOAP
header in the request message at all. I think axis sends the rpc style
headers, and the .net does wrapped style, they didn't really communicate
although I did get the getSession() returned nicely. I will have to change
the axis session handler SimpleSessionHandler, or customize .net header
serialization/deserialization.

As for the simpleType, yes, I realized that by now. For Axis, the
SimpleSessionHandler takes care of the serialization/deserialization of the
header. For gSoap, it automatically recognizes the header from the wsdl, I
just need to enter the namesapce correctly, ie, use the
"http://xml.apache.org/axis/session" namespace, then, everything works
without coding. I guess I will have to write serialization/deserialization
for .net for my project, so that it will have the max interop capability.

Thanks for your help. It really helps a lot.

-Zihong