.net deployment

Chris

We are making the move to an asp.net three-tier architecture. Ease of
deployment is a big factor. One thing that confuses me is deployment. XCOPY
should be enough. If I have a DAL, BAL and a Presentation Layer and I make a
change to the the business layer and build it on my deployment machine will
simply copying the dll deploy it or does the whole application need to be
rebuilt? Quite often I find that changes don't seem to show up in Visual
Studio until I have built everything.

Also I find code behinds in my Presentation Layer unnecessary as all the
preentation is carried out by CSS. Is there any problem with this. Does it
make a distraction.

Regards, Chris.

Guest

Chris,
As a general rule (and I am talking specifically about Web Application
Projects here) If you make any changes to only the codebehind or referenced
class libraries (DAL, BAL, whatever) then you only need to copy over the
associated assemblies to the /bin folder of your web app on the server.
If you make changes to the ASPX - the markup, control declarations, etc.
then you need to copy those over as well.
Does that help?
Peter

sloan

Keep in mind this also:

Data
Biz
Pres
and also there is a "Glue layer" (name is weird, but that's what it is)

The glue is the layer that lives outside of the 3 tiers .... that all the
other tiers reference. My choice of objects in this tier is DataSets.
I'll provide a URL in a second about your choices here.

Lets say you want to display data from a db. Well, your datalayer will have
to create this dataset.
Why not just put it in your dataLayer? Because your pres layer should NOT
reference or know about your dataLayer.

Data references Glue
Biz references Data and Glue
Pres references Biz and Glue
Pres does NOT reference Data.

back to your question, if your biz layer changes, and you don't kill any
contracts, you can usually just deploy it. Sometimes the voodoo gods get in
the way of this.

Go to

spaces.msn.com/sholliday/

click on blog

find the 1.1 article (May 2006 I think it is)
find a url that says "birds eye view".

read that article top to bottom. they discuss the glue layer, they don't
call it that, but its in the article.