Web Deployment Project Questions

Justin Friel

Hi,

I have been using a web deployment project with Visual Studio 2008
Standard Edition to deploy a website. There are a couple of settings
which aren't working exactly as I expected and was wondering if anyone
on the list has more info.

First, I'm trying to use the Web.config file section replacements
feature to replace a custom section in my config file. The project
can replace the appsettings and connectionstrings sections just fine,
but I get an error when I try to replace my custom section. Do web
deployment projects support replacing sections other than appsettings
and connectionstrings? My custom section looks like this:

<customSection>
<add customKey foo="bar">
<childElements>
<add key="foo" value="bar" />
</childElements>
</add>
</customSection>

Second, in the compilation section my release configuration I have
unchecked 'generate debug information,' but am still getting .pdb
files generated. I've also looked at the xml file and made sure
DebugType is set to none. Why are the .pdb files still getting
created? Is there any way to stop them from being built?

Thanks,
Justin

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

I can give info on question 2:

If you go into the IDE and set debug info to none (which is what shows up in
the XML), it should not create the PDB. By default, the PDB is created, but
no other debug information, with release.

I keep it at this setting and put the PDBs in a different location. If I
need to stoke them up to figure out a problem, they are there. If you
absolutely do not want them, try going into the IDE and check the properties
for your projects. Under Release, click the advanced button and make sure it
is set to none.