Web Deployment Project location/Authorization replacement

Chuck

I have a sub directory in an asp.net project with its own web.config.
During "Test" the Role Test is authorized for the sub directory.
During "Release" the test role is not authorized in the sub directory.

I don't believe the web deployment project allows replacing sections in
web.config files nested in sub directories?

I tried deleting the nested web.config and creating a"location" section in
the root web.config. However, the web deployment project errors with error
WDP00002: "missing section location".

I can kind of see this erroring since their could be multiple locations
sections within a web.config with each Location section having a different
Path element.

Is there a good way to change what roles are authorized in a sub directory
with a web deployment project configuration.

thanks,

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,
During "Test" the Role Test is authorized for the sub directory.
During "Release" the test role is not authorized in the sub directory.

Is my understanding correct that you're using membership and roles in your
Web Application, when you test your project in Visual Studio the
authorization works properly. However, after publishing to IIS it doesn't
work?

If so do you get any exceptions?

I did a test. By adding the following web.config in a sub directory the
authorization works fine (both in debug and product scenario). If role1
want to access the resources it'll be denied.

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<configuration>
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow roles="role2" />
<deny roles="role1" />
</authorization>
</system.web>
Is there a good way to change what roles are authorized in a sub directory
with a web deployment project configuration.

If you've published your site to IIS, you can open the Web Site in Visual
Studio. Then click "WebSite" (on the menu bar of Visual Studio)->"ASP.NET
Configuration". After that, a administration page will be opened. You can
config settings there. By clicking "Security" tab you can simply change the
Access Rules settings following the instruction on the page.

Please let me know if it can solve this issue and feel free to ask if you
have additional questions.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Gregory A. Beamer

I have a sub directory in an asp.net project with its own
web.config.
During "Test" the Role Test is authorized for the sub directory.
During "Release" the test role is not authorized in the sub directory.

I don't believe the web deployment project allows replacing sections
in web.config files nested in sub directories?

Not directly, but you can create a post bulid step that replaces it, if
that is your goal. I have not checked, but some of the CI products out
there (or perhaps nAnt) allows this granularity and might be worthwhile
to look at.

Some of this changes in VS 2010 where there are bits to handle different
configs. I am not sure how it handles subdirectory, however.

Is there a good way to change what roles are authorized in a sub
directory with a web deployment project configuration.

Not sure. The web deployment currently shipping is rather problematic,
so I don't use it. our method of customizing is to have a separate file
for hte changed elements on the web server and exclude that file from
publish. We then x-copy files over. But this is not a "location" thing.

Post build overwrite is still an option, in my book, although it is
possibly a bit kludgy. But it may be the only workable option until .NET
4.0.

Peace and Grace,

Chuck

In web deployement projects you can have different configurations
like debug, test, and release.
People will use the web.config file section replacment to do things like
changing the connectionstrings section when changing from test to release.

I want to have different roles allowed for a subdirectory when I move from
test to release. I wanted to know if their is a way to do this with a web
deployment project. Either by changing the LOCATION setting in the root
web.config or replacing the sub directory web.config or a section within in
it.

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,
I want to have different roles allowed for a subdirectory when I move from
test to release. I wanted to know if their is a way to do this with a web
deployment project. Either by changing the LOCATION setting in the root
web.config or replacing the sub directory web.config or a section within in
it.

Thanks for your clarification. If you want to replace a string in a file,
you can use custom task.

Please download MSBuildExtension Pack:
http://msbuildextensionpack.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?Releas
eId=18971

Then open .csproj_deploy file in Visual Studio, then add following content,
make sure C:\Program Files
(x86)\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.dll and Folder\web.config
is the valid path in your environment. (you can get the dll from above
site, Folder is the sub folder of your web application)

<Project ToolsVersion="3.5" DefaultTargets="Build;MyTarget"
xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/developer/msbuild/2003">
<UsingTask TaskName="MSBuild.ExtensionPack.FileSystem.File"
AssemblyFile="C:\Program Files
(x86)\MSBuild\ExtensionPack\MSBuild.ExtensionPack.dll"/>

<Target Name="MyTarget" Condition=" '$(Configuration)|$(Platform)' ==
'Release|AnyCPU' ">
<MSBuild.ExtensionPack.FileSystem.File TaskAction="Replace"
RegexPattern="role3" Replacement="role1"
Files="$(MSBuildProjectDirectory)\Release\Folder\web.config"/>
</Target>

<Import
Project="$(MSBuildExtensionsPath)\Microsoft\WebDeployment\v9.0\Microsoft.Web
Deployment.targets" />
</Project>

If you build on Release|AnyCPU condition, you'll see the "role3" in
Folder\web.config will be replaced by "role1". Please have a test and let
me know if it can solve this issue.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi,
I want to have different roles allowed for a subdirectory when I move from
test to release. I wanted to know if their is a way to do this with a web
deployment project. Either by changing the LOCATION setting in the root
web.config or replacing the sub directory web.config or a section within in
it.

Have you solved this issue? If you have additional questions please don't
hesitate to let me know.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support