.Net

Bob Leffew

I am new at ASP.net.

I have Visual Studio .Net 2003, and cannot afford to update to 2005 as of
now.

I know there is a difference between Asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 but not alot.

I have used dreamweaver 8 to develop ASP classic.

I have all of my website folders and pages on a network drive and not my
local drive for backup purposes.

In Dreamweaver it was easy to connect to the hosting server and do my work
locally then when i wanted to i could upload to the host server.

It also allowed me to tell it the location of my local flles. (on a network
drive)

I am having a heck of a time using Microsoft Development Environment.

These reasons:

Cannot figure out how to make it use my files on a network drive.

Cannot connect directly to the Host server.

Is this even possible?

Thanks in advance,

Bob

Mark Fitzpatrick

I don't have any experience working with VS and a networked drive, but I can
help with the connecting directly. VS doesn't connect directly to a remote
host in the same fashion that DW does. With an ASP.Net app you use the
Publish or Copy Web feature (should be an icon above the solution explorer
when the asp.net project to be published is selected) and this will compile
the applicaiton and send over the files necessary for the application. This
is a nice feature in that it lets you publish only the pages needed, for
example the .aspx files but leaves the .cs files behind since they are
already compiled into the dll.

First off... the differences between ASP.NET 2.0 and ASP.NET are VERY
NUMEROUS. It's almost the same gap as ASP.NET from ASP. I mean HUGE.
Also, ASP.NET was cumbersome and was a pain in the butt at times to
learn and work with for beginners. ASP.NET 2.0 is much easier and you
probably can't afford to stay with .NET 1.1.

ASP.NET 2.0 can be worked with for FREE with Visual Studio Web
Developer 2005 or with a general text editor (you can use your own text
editor MUCH more in .NET 2.0 than in .NET 1.1). Ironically while
ASP.NET 2.0 finally allows you to use your own text editor for
everything, the new IDE is the first since like VC++ 4.0 that didn't
suck. The IDE of VC2004 is a nightmare to work with. Setting up sites
never really worked for me... in ASP.NET 2./VS 2005 development there's
a built in development server that magically starts up.

You need to get on ASP.NET 2.0 and start laughing at ASP.NET.

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Let's cover the questions one at a time:

Bob Leffew said:
I am new at ASP.net.

I have Visual Studio .Net 2003, and cannot afford to update to 2005 as of
now.

Have you considered Visual Web Designer Express. It is free.
I know there is a difference between Asp.net 1.1 and 2.0 but not alot.

Depends on what you call a lot.
I have used dreamweaver 8 to develop ASP classic.

I have all of my website folders and pages on a network drive and not my
local drive for backup purposes.

This does not work properly due to potential security issues.
In Dreamweaver it was easy to connect to the hosting server and do my work
locally then when i wanted to i could upload to the host server.

It also allowed me to tell it the location of my local flles. (on a
network drive)

I am having a heck of a time using Microsoft Development Environment.

These reasons:

Cannot figure out how to make it use my files on a network drive.

You should not do this, as you are dealing with compiled code and security
issues.
Cannot connect directly to the Host server.

You can do this, if the host allows. If not, you can FTP up the files. If
you do a publish first, all files are precompiled.
Is this even possible?

Anything is possible. Some things should not be done.