Newbees: It's Quiz Time

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(David Dorward)
If you are only allowed to check one box
per question... why don't you use
radio buttons?

I give them that "suggestion" (to check only one box) but I allow them
the freedom to check more (as many do)... just to see what results are
submitted... don't forget it IS infact MY quiz, and I run it the way I
choose to...

As for the rest of your comments, David... they smell of much prejudice,
and of much additude...

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

Hywel Jenkins

Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...

http://davmagic.com/PAGES13.html

It's "deprecated" not "depreciated".

Question 4 is absurd, as is question 10.

The quiz submission is stupid - using FormMail.pl for God's sake.

Any newbie using that deserves all they get. Then again, WebTV ...

Using JavaScript top handle drop-down menus (<select>) is stupid - what
happens when JS is disabled? Fancy telling people NOT to underline
links - duh!

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(Hywel Jenkins)
It's "deprecated" not "depreciated".

Oh really? Is this indicative of the accuracy of the rest of your
comments?
Question 4 is absurd, as is question 10.

Absurd is a personal judgement, not a statement of realism... for
Newbees, these questions are helpful...
The quiz submission is stupid - using
FormMail.pl for God's sake.

Not if I want to check the responses in my email along with the
environmentals... it "works for me"
Any newbie using that deserves all they
get. Then again, WebTV ...

Ah... perhaps you should come off your attitude and take a look at your
own crap...
Using JavaScript top handle drop-down
menus (<select>) is stupid - what happens
when JS is disabled?

Did you notice the regular left side link duplicate menu on that page?
How short-sighted of you...

Fancy telling people
NOT to underline links - duh!

Underlined links are for Newbee builders... like you!

Web Design-Magic-Painting-Junking-Games
INFO 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com
See how your webpages look on a MSN-TV Browser:
Download it here: http://developer.msntv.com/Tools/msntvvwr.asp

David Dorward

Davmagic said:
Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...

http://davmagic.com/PAGES13.html

If you are only allowed to check one box per question... why don't you use
radio buttons?

Oh, of course, its Mr. 'lets write bad code becuase one browser used by 3
people in the world sucks and can't be protected from CSS'.

Anyway...

1. None of the above
5. None of the above
6. None of the above
7. None of the above
8. None of the above
10. None of the above... or at least a matter of debate... including just
what "WRONG" means in this context.

Congratulations! 60% of your multiple choice questions don't have a correct
answer as one of the choices!

Paul Goodwin

From: (e-mail address removed)
(Hywel Jenkins)
Using JavaScript top handle drop-down
menus (<select>) is stupid - what happens
when JS is disabled?
Did you notice the regular left side link duplicate menu on that page?

Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that what those are, links? I can't
really tell, the font is too small to be readable & I'm tired of smudging
the monitor with my nose.

How short-sighted of you...

One kinda *has* to be to read that ;-)

David Dorward

Did you notice the regular left side link duplicate menu on that page?

Did you notice the non-functional <select> still left in the page when
JavaScript isn't available? How are users supposed to know it isn't going
to do anything?
Underlined links are for Newbee builders... like you!

Underlined links for site visitors who like to be able to recognise links.

David Dorward

Davmagic .Com wrote:

I give them that "suggestion" (to check only one box)

You have a funny way of phrasing suggestions.
As for the rest of your comments, David... they smell of much prejudice,

You do bring out the worst in me, but I can back up my complaints.

1. None of the above

You probably think the correct answer is A, and it would be if you didn't
have the "for good page design" in it. HTML is a structural language, not a
design language, so nothing in HTML should be done for design reasons.

5. None of the above

You probably think the answer is C... but alt is short for Alternative, not
Description.

6. None of the above

You probably think that the answer is B, but B is just another EFFECT, not
the cause. You shouldn't use the <font> tag because its presentational, and
HTML isn't about presentation.

7. None of the above

You failed to specify a language. Even the <hr> tag has a closing tag in
XHTML 1.0 and 1.1.

8. None of the above

Any table with only one cell isn't holding tabular data, so the code is not
a correct description of the data being marked up.

10. None of the above... or at least a matter of debate... including just
what "WRONG" means in this context.

A is good advice.
Titles are required for all HTML documents.
C is good advice.
D is debatable. Some people consider it a good way to protect oneself from
spam. I don't agree with that idea, but using a form isn't going to
introduce much in the way of a barrier to users (in fact it removes a
barrier for users without an email client). Personally I suggest using
both.
and of much additude...

Well... I did take Maths to A-Level...

Davmagic .Com

From:
(e-mail address removed)
(Paul Goodwin)
Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that
what those are, links? I can't really tell,
the font is too small to be readable & I'm
tired of smudging the monitor with my
nose.

Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
size???

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
Info 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com

Davmagic .Com

From: (e-mail address removed)
(David Dorward)
Did you notice the non-functional <select>
still left in the page when JavaScript isn't
available? How are users supposed to
know it isn't going to do anything?

Hey, if they mess with their active scripting settings, they should be
prepared for whatever results... that's why the "smart" users (90+%)
leave JS alone and usable... you can't "have your cake and eat it
too"...

Web Design, Magic, Painting, Junking, More
Info 2000 For You
http://www.davmagic.com

Hywel Jenkins

I give them that "suggestion" (to check only one box) but I allow them
the freedom to check more (as many do)... just to see what results are
submitted... don't forget it IS infact MY quiz, and I run it the way I
choose to...

You advertised it to newbies, though. They need better help than the
crap you're offering.
As for the rest of your comments, David... they smell of much prejudice,
and of much additude...

"Additude"?

William Tasso

Davmagic said:
Hey, if they mess with their active scripting settings, they should be
prepared for whatever results...

oh they are - fingers poised (in anticipation) over the back button.
that's why the "smart" users (90+%)
leave JS alone and usable...

I do believe you're trolling - cute.

HAND HTH

David Dorward

Davmagic said:
Hey, if they mess with their active scripting settings,

Oh! Microsoftisms.

What if they don't? What if its company policy to have JavaScript disabled?
Its not /that/ uncommon a policy. Most of the security problems with MSIE
have been vulnerabilities in the scripting engine.
that's why the "smart" users (90+%)
Troll

leave JS alone and usable... you can't "have your cake and eat it
too"...

You can. Just remember that your site isn't cake. More like deep fat fried
Brussel sprouts.

Michael Wilcox

Davmagic .Com said:
Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
size???

And did you know that you can design pages which don't require the user to
change his own settings (including those with JS) just to be comfortable?

Paul Goodwin

From:
(e-mail address removed)
(Paul Goodwin)
Do you mean under "Web Design"? Is that
what those are, links? I can't really tell,
the font is too small to be readable & I'm
tired of smudging the monitor with my
nose.
Oh, did you know that you can actually INCREASE your browser text
size???

Yes I do, but I'd rather hit the back button on user-unfriendly, amateurish
"help" sites. Much easier & far less painful.

if you really want to help "Newbees", you'll take your site offline & remove
all the superfluous & pointless junk that's cluttering it up-- the
download-slowing Dynamic Drive-ish page-wipe stuff that *screams* 1997, the
pointless Swish banners (I recognize their standard array of over-used text
effects from a mile away), dump the all-centered text on some pages, and
make links LINKS-- you have pages of partial blue text with links (not
underlined) only marginally lighter blue in color. Fix the rookie typos,
e.g. "HTML VALADATOR" that's in huge font, and finally remove your $20 per
page "site critique" service until you can bring your *own* site up to the
standard required to show your viewers that you know what you're talking
about enough to merit a $20 per page fee.
I know you're trying to help people, and that's always a commendable thing,
but at the moment I'm afraid your site is more likely to end up on peoples
"examples of bad design" lists than "useful help site" lists.

Disco

Davmagic said:
Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...
I looked, and found this quite interesting....

In your question #6 (which, by the way, you have not given a correct answer
to), you ask...
"*Why is specifying FONT properties with the FONT tag considered poor
design?*"...

and then in your 'Tricks 1' page, you give the suggestion of...
"*A simple way to change the color of your link text is to insert the FONT
tag within the Anchor Tag*"

They way I see it, is that your viewers will look at these types of
inconsistencies in your site, and probably move on to a more reliable,
consistant, and even 'correct' web tutorial site.

Most of the poeple in this NG are so far up themselves, that they need a
vacuum cleaner to suck themselves out of their own ar5holes, and the way
they tell-it-as-it-is often seems pretty harsh, *but*, they do make very
good sence, and I recommend that you do not try do defend your site, as it
only bring on more criticism. (unless that is what you are after).

Steve Pugh

Try this little HTML-Web Design Quiz...

http://davmagic.com/PAGES13.html

I've seen your quiz before but refrained from commenting on it, but as
you're advertising it...

Q1. No correct answer provided.

Q3. depreciated is not a technical word with any formal meaning in
HTML 4.0, so there is no correct answer. Did you mean deprecated?

Q4. They are all bad choices. B is the least worst as at least the
subject of the page is in the link, but the text before the link is
bad.

Q5. C is correct syntax, which is what the question is asking, but is
still wrong as most alt texts should not be descriptions of the image.

Q6. None of the are correct. The reasons against using font tags
pre-date their deprecation (if that's what you meant in B). But you
list none of those reasons, nor do you list the any of the reasons
that can be given now that CSS provides a superior alternative.

Q7. Not enough information given. In very early versions of HTML there
was no closing tag for <p> and in XHTML all elements require closing
tags. So impossible to answer as is.

Q9. Well, A is ussually false, but sometimes can be true. B is only
true so long as you don't take into account the nesting of the inline
elements. C is sometimes true, it depends on the element. D is
sometimes true it depends on the element. So all four answers can be
true in some circumstances.

Q10. A, C and D can all be wrong depending on context.

So that leaves two out of the ten questions where a simple correct
choice is possible. 2/10. Could do better. Come back when you've
written your next quiz and we'll see if you've improved.

Steve